The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    They are adorable!!

2. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

:hugs :hugs

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Yeah, I thanked you there...;-]

Quote:
    That's good to know. TBH, I had never really thought about it as I did all of my incubations last year with the eggs laying flat during lockdown. I totally appreciate your point about things being different for everyone. That's one reason I have totally shifted away from RH% to weight loss, I am so excited that I've been very close daily to the expected weight loss. By the same token, its amazing how this Ova Easy is so consistent...I set a given RH that previously resulted in a particular weight loss, and then do it again, and I get the same weight loss. That is so reassuring. I started way low, 35%, and got way more weight loss than I wanted...adjusted up, got less, and by day 7 I had figured out just what I needed to do. So yesterday, at lock down, I was only 2g less weight loss than ideal...amazing.

FWIW, I think it has a lot to do with the very good seal the bator door has. If you are making your own bator, really give that some thought. You want the thing as air tight as you can make it, such that intake air only comes in where you expect it to. Also, because of that seal, I can open the bator, remove each tray and weight them (or inspect the eggs), and in 15 minutes or less the bator is right back at its previous RH%...without the humidity pump doing anything (I unplug the pump for 30 minutes if I open the door, to ensure it doesn't draw in a bunch of unnecessary moisture.)

Anyway, thanks to both of you.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    HarmonyAnns "Curly Sues" serama are ALMOST 2 and 3 weeks old, the pro-vits make a huge difference in feathering

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Sally those are just adorable! Pro Vitamins? Photo..not the poly, something else?

6. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I am glad I have Seramas in the bator!

7. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Adorable little things. [​IMG]

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see post #1409

for others.....
    quick lesson on pasty butt post #4657 post #21457
    THIS IS NOT PASTY BUTT its Umbilical post #4077
    Signs of Deficiency in the Embryo & Poultry Vits Oz/Sal Diary Thread post #13719
    Effects of nutrition on infertility, embryo mortality and hatchability. click Here

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Oops. :oops:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by