The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Got this cutie yesterday in protest for my last hatch not going so well

Not having a chicken momma, my dog thinks she'll take care of it

Do you have a picture of it? What is your hatch rate?

I'd like to peek at it too! Is it a coolerbator? Very interested.

Yes I do indeed have pictures! I am quite proud of it haha. My very first hatch was a bit hairy because I had no idea what I was doing lol. I had a little more than 50% hatch rate with 8 eggs out of 14 hatching. They were shipped. The next batch I hatched were ones I got from my bantams and I had a 100% hatch rate (8 eggs out of 8).

My first batch of shipped eggs

The outside, it has two viewing windows. Sometimes I wish it had more!! Haha

Ignore the writing, my younger sister wrote notes of encouragement to the chicks as they were hatching
gig.gif

This is what I use for temp monitoring. Its awesome. It was the most expensive part of my bator, I think it was $15.

Please don't mind the mess, I need to clean it after my last hatch! I use a computer fan wired to a repurposed plug (the plug used to be for a cell phone charger) and the light bulb is in a regular socket. The light bulb is my heat source. The fan actually circulates the heat very well for being so small!

This is the best picture I could find of the way I turn the eggs, I cut an egg carton and duct tape it to a 1/2" wooden dolley. The dolley then sticks out the side of the bator, and I can turn the eggs without opening the top. However in this case I had to manually move some of them because I could only fit a dozen on my egg carton turner.

So there's my little bator!
smile.png

Yes I do indeed have pictures! I am quite proud of it haha. My very first hatch was a bit hairy because I had no idea what I was doing lol. I had a little more than 50% hatch rate with 8 eggs out of 14 hatching. They were shipped. The next batch I hatched were ones I got from my bantams and I had a 100% hatch rate (8 eggs out of 8). My first batch of shipped eggs The outside, it has two viewing windows. Sometimes I wish it had more!! Haha Ignore the writing, my younger sister wrote notes of encouragement to the chicks as they were hatching :gig This is what I use for temp monitoring. Its awesome. It was the most expensive part of my bator, I think it was $15. Please don't mind the mess, I need to clean it after my last hatch! I use a computer fan wired to a repurposed plug (the plug used to be for a cell phone charger) and the light bulb is in a regular socket. The light bulb is my heat source. The fan actually circulates the heat very well for being so small! This is the best picture I could find of the way I turn the eggs, I cut an egg carton and duct tape it to a 1/2" wooden dolley. The dolley then sticks out the side of the bator, and I can turn the eggs without opening the top. However in this case I had to manually move some of them because I could only fit a dozen on my egg carton turner. So there's my little bator! :)
Thats pretty cool

Quote:
Those are really cool!!

Quote: X 2
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Lol...that's kinda how I got started last year. Wow, yours multiplied fast!! I'll have to keep an eye on mine. (I'm pretty sure they're hatching evil plans)
D.gif

Nice chickies in your pic!
love.gif
I'm really glad to hear you'll have more room for more enclosures and coops. I bet that's exciting!!
woot.gif

I can see bantams in your future.
wink.png

Quote:
Yup on the humor!
celebrate.gif

Here's a different yet equally awesome video...when you want to tone it down and be chillin' like a villain.
wink.png

woot.gif
woot.gif

(Shhhh..............
)

Quote: you betcha!! thank you!! I put them in our notes, but that section is far from organized!

Im in!! This will be my third hatch with my homemade incubator!!
wee.gif
yesss.gif
welcome!!
clap.gif
whatcha gonna hatch?

Quote: thanks they are sweet too!

Got this cutie yesterday in protest for my last hatch not going so well
Not having a chicken momma, my dog thinks she'll take care of it
love.gif

Here are some better pictures of my new poults :) I had 13 out of 14 hatch. Please excuse the messy brooder. Of course I took pictures before cleaning it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom