The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

51JFKGTJZ7L.jpg

That will work !! LOL

I already have the thermacubes, they are great, but they cannot make things heat more than they are capable of. I experimented last week heating my brooder with a single 175w infra red, it didn't work. I know the plates warm to 125F, what I don't know is whether they can heat the ambient temperature in my greenhouse high enough to keep the chicks toasty in week 1. I bought 2 large in hopes this will work, but I am hoping to put 75+ chicks out there...

We have the Premier Heat Plates too and LOVE them! We have two large plates that we have used for 100 broiler chicks and they work just fine! With broilers you have to be a little more careful to keep the height a little higher than you think you need to, because the broilers seem to give off more body heat than layer chicks and can suffocate themselves by crowding in the middle of the plates. Once we figured that out we haven't lost a one under the plates. We also have one small heat plate from Premier that I have used for smaller batches of laying chicks and once for 10 turkey poults. I think you will be very happy with the heat plates! I highly recommend them!
smile.png
There ya go. They live in Michigan and it's a bit closer to u and your weather than i am. I wish you warm, healthy, happy chicks and many more to come.

Just had me a mix hatch..one of my Bubba's babies. The hen is a leghorn. All of those are hatching out white with the black spots. I've had those before. The one on the left is a leghorn mix, with an EE. The right one is pure Wheaten Americauana. They both gave pretty blue eggs.
Nice looking hens! I like most any though that have the EE look.
You want a .. sign?
images
Now that's a sign.

Last edited:
I already have the thermacubes, they are great, but they cannot make things heat more than they are capable of. I experimented last week heating my brooder with a single 175w infra red, it didn't work. I know the plates warm to 125F, what I don't know is whether they can heat the ambient temperature in my greenhouse high enough to keep the chicks toasty in week 1. I bought 2 large in hopes this will work, but I am hoping to put 75+ chicks out there...

Just make sure the chicks have enough room to hide under the plates when they are cold, and come out from under the plates when they are too hot.

The plates won't change the temperature in your greenhouse, just the area directly under the plate itself.

Just got a mini brinsea (the autoturning one, but not autohumidity) classroom pack for the school. My son is in First grade, so we're going to give little talks to his class weekly while the eggs incubate in class, and the chicks can hang out a couple days until I bring them home (before they get really messy). I plan to set it the same time my cabinet incubator is loaded at home, in case of classroom casualties/to be sure viable eggs make it to hatch.

Can't wait to show them candling and doing weekly weights/charting, etc. I plan each week to show them highlights of what happened inside the shell that week. Looking forward to it!

My other son will be in 1st grade next year, and I just may keep going back if they'll have me. I love teaching those little curious faces!

Just got a mini brinsea (the autoturning one, but not autohumidity) classroom pack for the school. My son is in First grade, so we're going to give little talks to his class weekly while the eggs incubate in class, and the chicks can hang out a couple days until I bring them home (before they get really messy). I plan to set it the same time my cabinet incubator is loaded at home, in case of classroom casualties/to be sure viable eggs make it to hatch.

Can't wait to show them candling and doing weekly weights/charting, etc. I plan each week to show them highlights of what happened inside the shell that week. Looking forward to it!

My other son will be in 1st grade next year, and I just may keep going back if they'll have me. I love teaching those little curious faces!

That sounds fun, and it looks like you are all set to go!

Last edited:
Just had me a mix hatch..one of my Bubba's babies. The hen is a leghorn. All of those are hatching out white with the black spots. I've had those before. The one on the left is a leghorn mix, with an EE. The right one is pure Wheaten Americauana. They both gave pretty blue eggs.

Hey...you took my hen!
rant.gif

gig.gif

Pretty girls. Seriously...love your white hen!!!
love.gif
I have an EE I bought as a chick that looks just like yours with the random black throughout. Only one I have like that. I hope she gives me chicks that look just like her.
fl.gif
I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get the blue eggs. Nice that your girls are laying blue!!
woot.gif

I've got more eggs in lockdown and due to hatch tomorrow! I'm excited! More BCM babies lol. The eggs are rocking and rolling though I'm having a tough time getting the humidity up. I have them separated in plastic baskets that I bought at the dollar store. I drilled holes in the bottoms of them for better air flow but my humidity is hovering around 50%. I just threw in a wet sponge so hopefully that helps. First time experimenting with the baskets.

I've got more eggs in lockdown and due to hatch tomorrow! I'm excited! More BCM babies lol. The eggs are rocking and rolling though I'm having a tough time getting the humidity up. I have them separated in plastic baskets that I bought at the dollar store. I drilled holes in the bottoms of them for better air flow but my humidity is hovering around 50%. I just threw in a wet sponge so hopefully that helps. First time experimenting with the baskets.
woot.gif
Good luck with the hatch!

Back
Top Bottom