The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I have bad news but my Dominique hen just got killed by the stupid pigs... I had one have this happen to it before, but we fuxed the problem, until they dug down 3 ft and grabbed her from under.... This is why I like my birds... No pigs, goats, sheep, or cows. Even though we have them...

I have bad news but my Dominique hen just got killed by the stupid pigs... I had one have this happen to it before, but we fuxed the problem, until they dug down 3 ft and grabbed her from under.... This is why I like my birds... No pigs, goats, sheep, or cows. Even though we have them...

Nate, I used my dogs as the test as to whether I had provided enough protection to my chickens. So 3' of mesh was laid against the walls going 1' up and 2' out, to prevent digging. Then I decided to give them an outdoor run, using old pool fencing. Well, I didn't do the same thing on the ground at the pool fence. I figured, if anything got near the fence, the chickens would run away.

FYI, if anything is digging ground anywhere near a chicken, the chicken will be right there...dumb chickens.

Quote: Me, too!
highfive.gif
They last forever!
I also have some white plastic "easter eggs" that I got one year at the dollar store. I had to put some sand in them because they were too lightweight...the hens would bump them out of the nest...they must have thought there was something wrong with them....my girls know eggs are suppose to weigh something!

I am so sorry to hear you lost your Dominique hen.
hugs.gif
Was she the only one you had?

Last edited:

So sorry Nate. I think I may lose a hen...for the first time in yrs.! She's just been standing around, so finally went to take a look. She had egg shell hanging out of her, saw some egg white on the ground. I took the soft shell out, and now, can just hope she didn't have a lot stay inside. She is still not acting happy. Not eating. Just standing in one place. I put her back in the run, because she was just standing fluffed up on the snow. :/ Will see how she is doing in the morning. I could see in the vent quite a ways when I took a look..didn't see anything more.
idunno.gif
She may have another egg further up..didn't feel anything hard while checking.

Me, too!
highfive.gif
They last forever!
I also have some white plastic "easter eggs" that I got one year at the dollar store. I had to put some sand in them because they were too lightweight...the hens would bump them out of the nest...they must have thought there was something wrong with them....my girls know eggs are suppose to weigh something!

I also use golf balls and plastic Easter eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom