The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Mal the Mallard drake passed away last night. He was 10 years old. Looks like dad won't be getting any ducklings this spring. I'm not sure he'll get a new drake to replace him. I can't say I'm exactly sad. Mal took every opportunity to smack me in the face with his wings.
hmm.png
Dad's not happy about it though. We'd had Mal since he was a duckling and he did his job well. Never had an infertile egg and he wasn't too rough on his kids like some drakes can be. At least I don't have to worry about stress on the hens from him anymore.

On a brighter note, I may have more than just my eggs for the hatch! A very good friend of mine is dating a guy that raises chickens and said he just got 60 guineas last night at an auction! She's going to get me eggs from him for the hatch. I probably won't get guinea eggs for a while, but she's going to try to get me some of them as well when they start laying.
wee.gif
She said he has a 'foreign' breed that starts with a P, but Pendesenca is the only one I could think of off the top of my head and that ain't it. I'll have to talk to him myself one of these days and find out.

Mal the Mallard drake passed away last night. He was 10 years old. Looks like dad won't be getting any ducklings this spring. I'm not sure he'll get a new drake to replace him. I can't say I'm exactly sad. Mal took every opportunity to smack me in the face with his wings.
hmm.png
Dad's not happy about it though. We'd had Mal since he was a duckling and he did his job well. Never had an infertile egg and he wasn't too rough on his kids like some drakes can be. At least I don't have to worry about stress on the hens from him anymore.

On a brighter note, I may have more than just my eggs for the hatch! A very good friend of mine is dating a guy that raises chickens and said he just got 60 guineas last night at an auction! She's going to get me eggs from him for the hatch. I probably won't get guinea eggs for a while, but she's going to try to get me some of them as well when they start laying.
wee.gif
She said he has a 'foreign' breed that starts with a P, but Pendesenca is the only one I could think of off the top of my head and that ain't it. I'll have to talk to him myself one of these days and find out.

Maybe it is that new Russian breed! They come in white and partridge (I think, it is orange and black). Pavlaskya? Oh I butchered that spelling.
tongue.gif

They're so beautiful. We don't have any leghorns right now but I'm surprised that the silkies pick on them a little. I love that they're so docile. Maybe we'll have to wait on them if the feed store doesn't order extras but I hope they do. Would love to hear anything more your like to share if you feel like it. Thank you.

@nate1the1great1
Idk where you are located but you might try here for some show girl egg.
http://countylinehatchery.com/index.php?p=1_15

Happy Valentine's day everyone!!!!

OMG THANKS I will probably order some from them.

Back
Top Bottom