The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Awesome to see more people joining!! Welcome!! I'm officially done my hatch!! :woot I set: 34 eggs including a cracked, frozen egg AND the one I dropped :barnie (just to see...lol!) 22 eggs made it to lockdown, all showed quality movement at 18 days. 13 chicks hatched, two I put down this morning. - One Silky chick, wry neck with no response to care (and yes the SAME darn line as the rooster) - One white chick, who zipped most of the way then made no progress. I did finally assist, but the chick never stood up and didn't respond to care. 11 viable chicks to date!!:woot *Please note that between this week and last week alone I was gone 4 days where the eggs were only turned in the morning...and not turned again until the wee hours of the next day. (I turn the eggs manually) Of the eggs that dropped out...there were no discernable connection between ages of the egg; dates at the beginning of gather and days closest to set were affected. One egg was still alive this morning, but was in a gooey mess and the chick would have had issues with curved, stiff legs. It would not have been viable so I called it. I had a higher than normal percentage of malpresentations; breach being the most common. A few of the early chicks pipped and zipped despite being breach. A few of the eggs that were left and did not make it were breach and one was malpresented in the way the chick had it's wing/head/legs. This chick popped out a full day before being due and before any other chick. I was shocked when I stopped to check and he was bootin' around in the 'bator. I was also shocked when black chicks started showing up...lol. ('cause you all know how much I LOVE black!!) :love The blackest chick is out of a green/olive egg, so it would be from the one black hen we have. :love A quick look back confirmed I had "Mr. Rock" in with the girls for two days in January. I guess he works. :woot And works well....:gig My valentine's day present were these last week... We were only an hour away from a lady who breeds heritage poultry when we went for hubby's knee last week. So I managed to connect with her that day on super short notice...and bought these two cartons of eggs.:yesss: I specifically picked her because of her biosecurity measures. And, well, I took in 4 purebred Silkie roosters last fall from a wonderful lady who couldn't keep roosters. These roosters are from this breeder. I've been very happy with these roosters. Top carton is 5 eggs from her hybrid olive egger (based from her Isbars I believe) and 7 Vorwerk Bottom carton are a mix of Sussex, Australorp, Red Cuckoo, Icelandic, Bantam Cochins, a Bantam Wyandotte and a red Jungle fowl. I'm SO excited!! :celebrate They travelled well on the way home, they've rested, air cells look good...and I'm hoping to get them in by tonight once I disinfect the incubator. :celebrate Only thing now is...the bator will have these eggs in when it's time to set for the HAL. :barnie Make another bator??? I have the parts. I haven't decided yet what I'm doing. :th I have 80 of my own eggs on deck after I set the two dozen purchased.:oops: So I better get cleaning and disinfecting!! :bun
Dang, long post lol. Wondering how the frozen and the cracked eggs made out?

12705751_10204181185649645_8437698432745258479_n.jpg
She just keeps getting prettier. Had to share. I've never kept the frizzle...I wasn't to sure about them. I did keep a white cochin frizzle for a short time. Now all I need to do is think of a name for her!
I would name her Sylvia ! She looks like a Sylvia to me lol

I would like to participate but want to know if I can set ends the Friday or Thursday March 3rd or 4th. I am a teacher and would like the eggs to hatch during the school week.

I successfully hatched chickens in my class last year, I think this may be a fun contest for my class to be a part of.

That is awesome! I just donated 4 dozen Barred Rock eggs to our first grade classes, and I get any chicks that the kids can not take home
1f603.png

:love My son cracked up when he saw this chick he told me he was gonna buy me one for my birthday, lol he is 5

Aw, it seems as though your son supports your chicken addiction ;) my son reminds me at least once a month that he expects me to get birchen bantam cochins again. Our first rooster, doodle do, was a birchen. He was my sons favorite, but was killed by a coon 3 years ago. My son still talks about him :( In a few years when he seems more interested and committed to feeding and caring for a chicken, I will have to get him his own flock of birchens. He is 7 now, and he just isn't quite there with the interest.

Those are the cutest puffy cheeks! Faverolles are up at the top of my wish list. 
I love her!

Oh I am just so very very excited I super super hope that our local farm and fleet has extras still when we get there to pick up our chicks on March 30th (DH2B's bday) because they're getting 25 extra favorelles pullets - which we didn't order BC we didn't want to have to order 5 of them. So excited!!! Oh goodness this is how chicken math happens. :)

I hope you guys can get some! I wouldn't even think twice, if I just HAD to choose only one breed to keep, it would be Salmon faverolles.

@Hurley
Good luck with your quail hatch! Those tiny buggers are entertaining to watch hatch, thwy pop out so quickly! What i find so fascinating is how one or two can hatch slow, then those two set off the alarm that makes the rest just popcorn out!

Back
Top Bottom