The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

What a lovely collection of eggs!  Will you have any room to set more for the Hatchalong?

Absolutely! I'm excited to finally be able to participate this year. I was out of town on the set date last year. We are using a wine refridgerbator. Plenty of room to add more eggs on 3/5. I have space for about another 5 dz in turners. I'm going to use my old LG incubators as hatchers to avoid staggered hatch issues.

Quote: You said that much more eloquently than I did.
bow.gif

I missed a few key points I wanted to make. With incubating, I'm the same as cree...I've had my incubator running since early December. I'm quite new to incubating but I do many, MANY things not really recommended for incubating. I need to make a special note of this because there are so many wonderful, new people watching and following this information on this thread.

I do like to push the envelope on certain aspects of MY hatching...because I'm after a different goal than most. I list the things I do; my successes and my failures so others can learn from my trials. I also like to be as transparent as I can about the things I'm doing. I realize I am WAAAAY out there on things I'm doing. BUT, I want to give everyone a difference perspective from the normal procedures so that you can make their own conclusions on whether you wish to try something different.

That being said, I'm following closer to regular protocol with the eggs I'm incubating right now...half of them are purchased purebred heritage eggs...and I'd like some chickens out of it...
gig.gif

With this current hatch I'm turning at least 5 times a day.
th.gif

I'm running approx 55% humidity to help with fluid loss for the more porous/older eggs.
My 2 dozen purchased eggs were set at 12 days old on Monday, Feb 22 (I know...I know)
he.gif
Life happens.
My 2.5 dozen eggs were collected from Jan 27 to Feb 3. making them between 19 to 26 days old at set...
gig.gif

I have approx. half that are developing as candled last night (4 days):

Purchased eggs:

2 Austalorps - 0 good
2 Sussex - 1 good / 1 no
3 Icelantic - 3 good
yesss.gif

2 Bantam Cochin - 1 maybe / no
1 Jungle Fowl - 1 good
1 red cuckoo Orp - 1 good
7 Vorwerk - 5 good / 2 no
5 Olive egg Lay - 4 good / 1 no

My eggs:

Easter Egger - 6 good, 3 maybe, 3 no
Silkie's/OEGB - 6 good, 1 maybe, 8 no
(I see on my eggs, number is not equaling 2.5 dozen...will have to reprimand my secretary/husband!!)
gig.gif

Final cut will be made/recorded in detail between 6 -10 days.

Back
Top Bottom