The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I use a Mama brooder heating pad set up. Just search Mama brooder here and you can get a great thread with pics

I second MHP. fantastic set up!!!

I like going to TSCs in NH because in MA the minimum amount of ducklings TSC can sell is like 20 or something crazy like that. If you go up to NH though the minimum amount of ducklings is like 3 :p just in case you want a couple ducklings...

Our chicken minimum is 6 and the duckling is 2, but they let me get 2 or 3 chicken and 1 duckling from time to time since I end up getting the 6 in a few weeks time.. I can't control myself...

Really??? Wow, I just assumed it was the same as chickens and thinking i could get 6 ducks! What the heck :( NH is a nice place though :p

I'm sitting on I-10. About as low in al as you can get without beach front property. My problem is I'm out of cash or I would of ordered some
1f602.png

Sounds absolutely beautiful! I'm jealous. I've traveled that route many times. Have you asked on the Alabama thread? They are an exceptionally nice group. They've even welcomed me. I just had to say ROLL TIDE 3 times rapidly. Don't know what the Auburn folks have to do though. That is probably way more complicated.

Sounds absolutely beautiful! I'm jealous. I've traveled that route many times. Have you asked on the Alabama thread? They are an exceptionally nice group. They've even welcomed me. I just had to say ROLL TIDE 3 times rapidly. Don't know what the Auburn folks have to do though. That is probably way more complicated.
yuckyuck.gif
I don't even follow college sports (or any sports for that matter) and you had me laughing.
lau.gif

Looks like my Ebay eggs might be arriving today! Which comes as as surprise-- I specifically asked the seller if I bought eggs, could she wait until Monday to ship them out and she said yes. So I was certainly surprised when I checked the tracking number just a moment ago to see if she'd dropped them off at her post office yet this morning and instead it says they just arrived at my post office this morning! I had originally asked her to hold them because they were coming a good ways across country, Colorado to Maryland, and I was afraid of USPS leaving them untouched at a sorting facility on Sunday. Instead, it looks like they used Saturday into Sunday to get them all the way to Baltimore (oh no, they took them past me XD). So I'm glad to see they haven't been left sitting anywhere and were always on the move. But now they'll have to settle for a few days if I want to keep them for the hatch-a-long. She shipped them Friday, so they'll be at least 8 days old when they go into the incubator on Saturday. I hope that isn't a problem :(
I like to get shipped eggs into the incubator as soon as possible after a rest period - 8-12 hours usually. But I know many people who will rest them for up to a week before setting them, especially if the aircells are bad. Personally, if you want to wait for the HAL, I would set them on Thurs (still admissible, right @ronott1 ?) Because of the age, they will probably take a little longer to hatch anyway. In the mean time, store them in a cool room and try to provide some extra humidity. Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

Quote: Priority shipping from NC to AL should be no more than 3 days, probably 2. Of course, this is the USPS we're talking about
th.gif
he.gif
, so no guarantees on that.

She's supposed to be a Wyndottee. That's what I paid for. If not that's ok. I got an EE as well. I'll deal
1f60a.png
I've also got a Cuckoo Maran as well. Had to add some color.
It could be, I still remember your photo..those little cheeks are what is throwing us off. Here is a photo of 3 Golden W's. They have a bit of a fluff to their cheeks. Guess you will find out pretty quick. They grow fast. :)
brown-leghorn.jpg

I like to get shipped eggs into the incubator as soon as possible after a rest period - 8-12 hours usually. But I know many people who will rest them for up to a week before setting them, especially if the aircells are bad. Personally, if you want to wait for the HAL, I would set them on Thurs (still admissible, right @ronott1 ?) Because of the age, they will probably take a little longer to hatch anyway. In the mean time, store them in a cool room and try to provide some extra humidity. Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

Priority shipping from NC to AL should be no more than 3 days, probably 2. Of course, this is the USPS we're talking about
th.gif
he.gif
Yes, +,- two days from Saturday so thursday is good!

jumpy.gif

Priority shipping from NC to AL should be no more than 3 days, probably 2. Of course, this is the USPS we're talking about
th.gif
he.gif
Regional A or B should work--They are close enough to make it by truck. The shipping cost is much lower for Regional A and B.

Hello Everyone!

We are back to hatch at our Assisted Living Senior Living! This year we have moved to the Cottages which is a Assisted Living and Memory Care, in northeast Wisconsin. We will be setting 24 eggs total at two different locations with 85 Seniors enjoying the experience. My name is Phil, and you may know me as "Ridgeline Hens" So Glad to be apart of the bigger picture!
This was so fun to see last year!

So, an update on my chicks:

Princess and her four chicks are doing well and enjoying the slightly warmer weather (above freezing at least). Susie is also doing okay, though one of her chicks, Buttercream, has a bad leg. I'm going to have to work on that when I get home. Right now I'm at the doctors office with two newly hatched chicks tucked under my shirt. Yeah, its kind of weird, but they were assisted hatchers and so they are too weak to be under a hen, too lively to be in the bator, and I didn't have a brooder set up. They are both sleeping happily and strengthening well. There are three other eggs in the incubator, including one that is starting to hatch (I named her Canary because I'm pretty sure she is Dove's baby).
The two new chicks are a standard and a bantam. The bantam is a silkie mix and was backwards in its shell, so when I opened up the airsac to let it get some fresh air I began to realize I couldn't see the beak. I saw a foot and then realized that when I opened the membrane it was near the belly and it began to bleed. When I opened up a hole near its beak it bled also, however, it seems to be doing pretty well. I didn't get much sleep last night as I kept peeling a little shell away, then placing it back for 30 minutes, then doing it again, all the while trying to take care of the first chick I helped, who I was afraid was shrink-wrapped. He's just now beginning to open his eyes and lift his head, but hopefully he can go under Princess when I get back.

I named the standard chick Agent 13, but I think its a boy so I'm just calling him Agent. The smaller one I named Coulsen.
smile.png
Go Marvel.

I'll try to get some pictures up. Like I said, I spent most of the night holding a chick on my belly, trying not to fall asleep and crush it. My floor is covered in egg shell, my hands have blood on them, and I didn't have breakfast yet. What we do for our chicks.
gig.gif

You come up with the cutest names! And, you are a great chicken mom..or dad...which are you? lol...

Have to ask, what did the nurse and doc say when they saw that you have baby chicks..or didn't they know?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom