The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

My Swedish Flower Hen eggs!! I can not wait!!
celebrate.gif

Polish are really hard to sex. But I used to raise them and the best I can give you is this: when they are young, look at the bump on their head. The females tend to be round and stick up further, the males is shorter and thinner. I'll see if I can dig up some old pics. It works pretty well but deffinately isn't fail proof.

So I was wondering if my ladies were gonna give me enough eggs to fill my bator (holds 48) and I am 4 away as of this morning!! I think we will make it!! Woo Hoo!!
celebrate.gif

So my question is this, how dirty is too dirty???
idunno.gif
I have a few that have some smears on them, can they be set or will they add germs? I will hopefully be able to weed them out if my ladies keep laying like they are, but with as cold as it is & me working, I hope they don't freeze.............
barnie.gif

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've set some pretty dirty eggs and had them hatch. You can try brushing or wiping some of the dirt off. Washing the eggs can let bacteria in, so usually this is advised against.

Best of luck!

can i join the HAL? im setting 12 eggs tomorrow at my local school!

Welcome! So glad you could join!
frow.gif

Wow, I wasn't tired when I wrote this post, was I lol. That was SUPPOSED to say "but I hope they do" and " won an auction" but hey, it is an addiction lol. Darn autocorrect!

Does anyone know if there's a way to sex polish chicks at a young age? I just picked up a few the other day and I want to try to keep at least a pair.
I got three straight run mixed Polish last September, and only one had a distinctive "cap". It grew into a white-crested black roo. The other two with less distinct "caps" grew into pullets, one buff-laced and one silver-laced, who just started laying!

Back
Top Bottom