The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Would these eggs be okay to set or should i wait for better ones?

The new polish chicks :)

Quote: I can sex my crested SFH chicks by looking at the crest feathers when they get them. The pullets will have neater, rounded feathers in the crest where the cockerels will have spiky feathers and the crest often has an unkept look to it, sometimes looking like Rod Stewart.

First set of shipped eggs has arrived! They handle them special in MEMPHIS!!!
he.gif

Filing a claim. Have been working on it for about 2 hours and the stupid thing won't take the pictures. Frustrating day!

First set of shipped eggs has arrived! They handle them special in MEMPHIS!!! :he Filing a claim. Have been working on it for about 2 hours and the stupid thing won't take the pictures. Frustrating day!
Oh NO!! I'm so sorry!!! I swear...it seems like there are some people out there who take the "fragile" labeling as a challenge and drop kick it just out of spite. I don't get it. That's just awful.
1f61e.png

By the way, my last update on the hatch:

Canary, the chick that was getting so strong and lively and beautiful, died under her mother yesterday.
hit.gif
Her mother stepped on her and her feathered feet made it so she couldn't feel the chick under her. Being too weak, Canary likely suffocated. I held her in my hand, wishing her back to life for a few minutes and crying. I've had just about enough of chicks being dead in my hands. I know that it was my choice to try and get her under her mother, but I can't help but think waiting a few more hours she would have been strong enough and wouldn't be dead now.

On a better note, though it is snowing and cold, both Coulsen and Agent are doing well and keeping up with their mothers. Buttercream seems to be getting around fine, so I'm hoping her leg strengthens on its own. I found a home for Acorn and Diamond, so hopefully more of my Dalmatians will actually be white with black spots. The two chicks that were white both died. I buried Canary next to Snart out in the field and finally caught up on some sleep. An obnoxius wild bird out the window keeps making the calls of a hatching chick, which keeps distracting me. I keep thinking the eggs in the bator are hatching way early!

I checked on Goldie's eggs for the first time and found a few of them eaten. I cleaned up the other eggs and put some hay under them to keep the nest clean. Hopefully that predator won't return, whatever it was. I know it can't be the skunk, they can't climb at all.

Anyways, I'm going to be cleaning up the incubator soon, getting the blood out of it and sweeping off my carpet, which is COVERED in egg shells. I'm still wondering though, why were so many of my chickens upside-down in their shell? Was it because I put them into lock-down too early? (I didn't know when they would be hatching so I put them in on the 18th and they hatched on the 26th). I stopped turning them. Is that why they were positioned wrong?
hugs.gif
So sorry.

These are some of my eggs for the HAL.
@Sally Sunshine heres my 16 Dom eggs shipped the Sally Sunshine way. All the air cells look good and no damage to the eggs. I'm gonna let them rest in the 60-65* basement and set saturday morning. Going off the air cells they were just what I ordered fresh and under 2 days old when shipped. Saturday the oldest should be only 7 days old. :fl I get a good hatch.

Like none of them. I candled them and theres no cracks, no saddles, no loose air cells. Nothing wrong with them. Hopefully I don't change that by incubating them :lau So this is a testament to Sallys shipping method done by somebody else, it works well. Yes you'll pay extra for it but its way worth it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom