The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I have a similar incubator.hot air fan, turning trays. I am afraid to candle, may break something..can I just let everything go and do the lockdown on day 18, take them out of the tray and add water to bring up the humidity...Will it be a big problem if I have some bad ones and leave them in...

Yes things going well. Speaking of lavs or self blues?

What's with this guys tail? Anything bad?

I swear I saw that before!

Where does he roost? How far from the wall is the roost? That happens a lot if the roost is close to the wall cuz they usually prefer to face away from the wall and tail gets smooshed against the wall...

Also, fretting is a common issue in Lav, but that looks like a roosting space problem...

I know they're just stunning. I can't wait until I can add more. :)
Pictures please? Where are you located? And do you sell hatching eggs? I'd also love to see the lav Ameracauna eggs please? I'm so jealous lol my self blue oegb Crocket was a bonus egg we received with our silkie eggs last year and what a terrific bonus she was. She's our first lavender although I had been looking into lavender orps.

I'm in Middle TN... will have to dig up pics... just separated my Am's into 2 pens... until I can verify they're producing quality I'm not sending out eggs... yet...

Egg color is good, better with some than others... some greenish...

I have a similar incubator.hot air fan, turning trays. I am afraid to candle, may break something..can I just let everything go and do the lockdown on day 18, take them out of the tray and add water to bring up the humidity...Will it be a big problem if I have some bad ones and leave them in...

You can. Although it's better to monitor the air cell size so you can adjust your humidity.

Just keep sniffing the incubator to check for eggs turning rotten.
sickbyc.gif

I swear I saw that before!

Where does he roost? How far from the wall is the roost? That happens a lot if the roost is close to the wall cuz they usually prefer to face away from the wall and tail gets smooshed against the wall...

Also, fretting is a common issue in Lav, but that looks like a roosting space problem...

You have I've asked before. He roost on the poles above them in the first picture. I extended it back when I asked before. He now roost in a completely different coop on a shelf 12 inches wide which may not be wide enough yet. He seems to be going through a molt so it will be interesting to see how they develop from here. I'll go out tonight and see how close he is. Just seems to uniform.

Just did a quick Day 9 candle to double check that iffy one - this time it was obviously clear/not viable, so I went ahead and pulled it. Took a very quick look at the remaining 7 while I was out it (out of paranoia since I had left the turning cradle inadvertently unplugged for 30 hours on day 7) - they were all happily swimming away - movement in almost every one. So we're good!!!
clap.gif

So officially I'm down from 8 to 7 eggs.

- Ant Farm

I'm really ecstatic! Every one of my shipped silkie eggs (Florida to PA) is developing and wiggling all around :) never expected that! I'm hoping they all hatch now lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom