The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

This weekend's hatch :) ( most of them anyway! )

CANDLE RESULTS 3/19

No quitters, all are alive and well! Movement in 10/11 of the eggs in the bator. Cracked the clear, it was infertile.

So......

No quitters
1 clear

11/12 eggs I started still in the bator. :yiipchick

Quote:

Quote: I have been WAY busy the last two weeks working on a project to bring more Isbars into this country.
big_smile.png
Did I ever tell you I LOVE my Isbars?
love.gif
lol.png
love.gif
So, I am way, way, way behind here
th.gif
and will never catch it all up, but I wanted to comment on this.

I am not a big fan of hatcheries, but I was very pleasantly surprised by @MyPetChicken 's willingness not only to listen to my constructive criticism, but to learn from it and take immediate action on it.
thumbsup.gif
They deserve kuddos for that
highfive.gif
and if others are willing to offer constructive criticism, maybe MPC can turn the tide of hatchery reputations.
wink.png

Hey all, I just looked at my calendar and did a double take when I realized I missed the annual easter hatch a long! I have no idea where my brain was when you all started setting your eggs. Anyways although I can't participate this year, (setting eggs tonight) I will definitely be popping back in around easter to see all your fluffy chicks as they hatch! Hopefully I remember next year- Happy Hatching :)

I hope to see you around.
smile.png

Totally bummed at the moment!
rant.gif
The classroom hatch is a complete loss. 25 eggs were set and 0 hatched. We had some troubles early on with infertility and early quitters. Lockdown started Monday with only 6 eggs left. One of the eggs was questionable, but too dark to tell for sure.

Well, Wednesday (two days into the lockdown) the teacher gives me a call that they can't get the temperature above 80. I check it out and someone had removed the temp sensor out of the incubator.
ep.gif
I put the sensor back in and the temp was 103*F. It is unknown how or when this happened, or even exactly how hot the incubator got before I fixed it. Unfortunately, the chicks were "cooked!"
somad.gif

To save face and give the kids (ages 5-6) a feeling of success I purchased a couple TSC bantams and slipped them in before the kids arrived at school today.

The incubator and chicks came home this afternoon. An eggtopsy revealed that the one iffy egg was a late quitter, but the other 5 were "cooked." One was a blue/black/splash Maran with the splash pattern and another was a chick from my Ancona hen.
he.gif

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a real bummer. I'm glad you gave the kids some chicks in the incubator to enjoy though.

Just finished a big candling. It is 14 days for 48 of the eggs and day 12 for 24 of them. I started with 31 shipped eggs from 3 different sources. At day 14-

Shipped egg tally-

Feathermeadow started with 13 now have 3 (25%) These travelled from Arizona.
J-Bar started with 6 now have 3 (50%) These travelled furthest from Oregon.
Alchemist Farm started with 12 now have 8 (66%) These traveled from California.

So shipped eggs 14 out of 31 remain. (45%) They are all Isbar. The ones pulled either did not develop or had blood rings.

For my own eggs -
Isbar- pulled 3, 2 no development, 1 blood ring (out of 19) (84%)
celebrate.gif

Isabelle Leghorn- pulled 1 no development (out of 12) (83%)
SFH- pulled 5 no development, (out of 10) The rooster must not be getting the job done. New rooster and new pen almost done if it doesn't rain this weekend! (50%)
hit.gif

Began with 72 and I now have 46 that are looking good! (64%)
Since I can't stand an empty incubator I set 22 in the empty spots and will move them all to one incubator at lockdown for the Easter hatch group.
hide.gif
I'm glad its going well.
thumbsup.gif

Day 14 candle. Two blood rings, and one that looks like it made it to about day 5-7. Tiny little guy (it was the egg that has had some funky development all along)
sad.png
. So I'm down one Silkie and two Tetra Tint. Down to 13. The rest look pretty good. A couple are questionable...
I hope the rest continue to do well.
fl.gif

CANDLE RESULTS 3/19

No quitters, all are alive and well! Movement in 10/11 of the eggs in the bator. Cracked the clear, it was infertile.

So......

No quitters
1 clear

11/12 eggs I started still in the bator.
yippiechickie.gif

Awesome!
woot.gif

CANDLE RESULTS 3/19

So......

No quitters
1 clear

11/12 eggs I started still in the bator. :yiipchick

Fabulous candling pics! :highfive:

The first eggs that I set to test the new incubator are supposed to hatch tonight. I see lots of little pips!

:clap
Good luck :fl

Ok, so I have another Humidity question for the experienced hatchers on here.
frow.gif
bow.gif

Phase 1 of my staggered hatch in the Brinsea Ova-Easy is over. I took out the hatching tray, did a quick wipe down of the bottom shelf and dropped the humidity slowly back to 30% last night. My question is - Should I set the humidity even LOWER, say 25% for the 4 days before the next hatch starts, to counteract the 2 1/2 days that I had the humidity up to 60% or a little over?
hu.gif

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom