The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Ugh, thanks to the rain I had to pull the chicks out of the bator. Windows were fogged up so bad I couldn't even see through them. I had a plastic storage box with a top sitting around, so I'm using that for now. I'll probably cut the middle off the top and add some hardware cloth after it stops raining. For now it's only covering half the top to help keep warmth in.

A little off topic but my secondary EE roo was found dead:( No sign of injury or illness. I'm down to one EE roo for 15 hens, as my CL roo has his own pen now. He was the only bird I had from my moms flock:(

So.. I want to see if any of the chicks that hatch for this HAL might be his. He was black barred with tons of red & gold leakage, full on beard / fluffy face. The kids called him the pretty one, so much flashier than the rest of our chickens. Is barring dominant? Can barring be identified at hatch? I think the barring would be the 1st clue if he fathered any. Any tips on identifying any of his chicks? Thanks

My Dominique rooster has passed the barring gene on to every last one of his offspring. With his, they have a white spot on their heads.

[COLOR=4B0082]Local!!!  Good to see ya man! [/COLOR] :hugs :hugs :hugs  [COLOR=4B0082]to you too!! [/COLOR] :celebrate

[COLOR=4B0082]Really??  Doh on my part!  :th [/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]:gig  Sometimes I really just have to laugh at myself!!!  :gig [/COLOR]

[COLOR=4B0082]Thanks for the heads up Ravyn!!  :hugs [/COLOR]
[COLOR=4B0082] [/COLOR]

No prob! :thumbsup

And I only knew that cus I saw all the pics they posted last year... :D ;)

A little off topic but my secondary EE roo was found dead:( No sign of injury or illness. I'm down to one EE roo for 15 hens, as my CL roo has his own pen now. He was the only bird I had from my moms flock:(

So.. I want to see if any of the chicks that hatch for this HAL might be his. He was black barred with tons of red & gold leakage, full on beard / fluffy face. The kids called him the pretty one, so much flashier than the rest of our chickens. Is barring dominant? Can barring be identified at hatch? I think the barring would be the 1st clue if he fathered any. Any tips on identifying any of his chicks? Thanks

If he was truly barred, then yes, his chicks would come out with barring... it is dominant... look for chicks with headspots...

Sorry for your loss... :hugs

Welcome to the world little one !!
First hatch, 4 more pip and 4 more waiting.

Back
Top Bottom