The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

t6311.gif
One day until hatching!!
...or maybe I'm the only one still waiting for pips and chicks......
hmm.png

I'm still waiting for peeps!!! Then again, I did set 10 hours late....
fl.gif

My eggs WERE all wiggling but they stopped yesterday night... Maybe saving energy?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Most of the black breeds look like that at thatch. The fluff feathers will fall out and the adult feathers will come int. They will not have their final adult look until the lase Juvenal molt at a bout 16 weeks old.

They look great!

when I hatch mine out they are all black, just curious these were shipped eggs i was hoping maybe a splash.

Thank You

Hey all just wanted to update not a lot going on here for the most part but...
Went to bed last night with our first pip and woke up to our first chickie and two more visible pips(in silkie eggs) first chickie is a SLW/isa brown cross and is so cute with one maybe two little yellow eyebrows lol that one went from first pip to out in less than 12 hours.

This egg was one DH2B wanted to add and he's now certain his little overachiever is a new super breed lol yeah BC he's not hooked or anything. Did I mention he also asked if we were gunna keep it to see how it turns out? Lol BC I'm the one with the addiction.

Oh and I'm really worried about my eggs just sitting in the incubator... this is the first time I just sat them on the wire for hatching and it's really easy for them to roll. It's not like i can open the incubator at this point...
barnie.gif
I'm scared one egg will hatch and roll all of the other eggs, What should I do? Should I be worried? Do you all just put the eggs on the wire?

Last edited:
Well I have a hell of a husband. While I was boarding a plane to come home and he was there with the eggs and no power he made a decision. He got in the car and drove them to the first house that had lights on. The older man and wife were delighted to help. They said hurry and get em in here. We later paid the favor with a dozen eggs. The clutch is home now but no pips
1f614.png
. Still waiting only day 20

That's a great man and amazing neighbors.

So...I understand internal pip...is external pip actually considered when they break through the outer shell? or is that already zipping? I woke up to 4 open little cracks...then a 5th...& now a 6th!!

Internal pip is opening the membrane inside the egg.
External pip is piercing the shell of the egg.
Zipping is when they start to make thier first hole bigger, eventually splitting the egg.

Meet "sticky" named by my daughter. I don't know how she's going to name all of these and how I'm suppose to raise meat birds later if she keeps naming them. Anyways, he was dubbed sticky because he was a sticky chick yesterday and had his wing glued to his head. He had zipped about half way and then hours later nothing. Finally figured out what was wrong. But he is out and getting fluffy. I've tried to slowly wash him down with a wet q-tip but taking it slow. I hope I can get all the sticky off of him. He also likes to sleep on his side? I've walked in many times to see him just laying on his side and about half a mini heart attack thinking he didn't make it. But I've gotten him out and have made him walk and even though he hobbled a little nothing seems wrong with his legs.

Back
Top Bottom