The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Thanks! I was thinking maybe that's how it goes, that they just throw different colors but are the same breed.

Jumbo are the same size as the rest? I looked up some Jumbos & they showed these quail that were just MASSIVE! Thank you! I thought the white ones were the same look as the pictures of Texas A&Ms.
smile.png

Most "jumbos" have been mixed with others so they aren't really "jumbo" anymore. The white ones are just normal (wildtype) but with 2 copies of the recessive white gene (they need 2 copies of the gene to appear white), cross them with the "british range" (solid brown ones) and you should get tuxedos (brown back white belly). Your other ones look like golden, although if they have reddish spots on their backs instead of black then they might be "autumn amber", which is another form of gold. Golden is a dominant gene so I believe them crossed with any of your other ones the babies will be golden, but not 100% sure of that.

OK, got really going there lol, that is probably very confusing but basically, you should get some nice looking babies from them. Oh and the goldens can be sexed by feather color, females will have speckled chests and males will have solid colored chests. The whites and british range can not, you have to wait til they "crow" or lay an egg
tongue.png

This thread has some great pics showing the different color mutations of coturnix quail https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/102281/coturnix-quail-basics-information-and-pictures-galore

If you're looking for something that is a set and forget sort of incubator, you can't go wrong with an Incuview. Just turn it on, set your eggs, and check the humidity once or twice a day. You just need to make sure you have a second hygrometer inside. The one on the lid can't be trusted to be accurate.

I really think it depends on the individual 'bator. I have an LG with a fan and had 80 to 90% hatch rates. When I brought in the incuview, it dropped to 10%. I call it my death bator. Just bought a Brinsea and my hatch is not done but I am at 82% so far.

:celebrate I'm so eggcited. I didn't expect to get any chicks and after being 2 days late I had given up. Early this morning I ended up with 3 silkie chicks before i went to bed at 9 am. I got up at 2:30 to find 2 english Orp chicks in there all dry and resting. I'm not giving a final count yet. I'm not sure if they're done. :weee
Yay!
Loving all these chickie pictures! We have two hatched out, we'll see about the remaining 3. No pips yet. Here is our first hatcher, an Ameracauna x Australorp: Aaand a little family collage:
That top picture should be entered in the cutest baby fowl contest.
When do I assist? I have some that haven't progressed a bit since last night.
Patience.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those of you with chick, and incubator action! I'm sorry for those of you that didn't have any luck hatching. Don't give up! It's so worth it when you get it right!

@sally sunshine Hi Sally & Mike, my EHAL results are 10/15 hatched :ya 6 girls & 4 boys, 5 DIS. Very pleased with my hatch considering finding low temps & had to be out of town on the second day of hatch. DD assisted with 1 girl today that had been pipped for over 24 hours & was experiencing distress. She was pretty sticky, but I washed her & put her back in the incubator for tonight to keep her extra warm after having to wash her. Thanks Sally for all the help that you have given me with this hatch, your the best :hugs

Last edited:
Thanks! I was thinking maybe that's how it goes, that they just throw different colors but are the same breed.

Jumbo are the same size as the rest? I looked up some Jumbos & they showed these quail that were just MASSIVE! Thank you! I thought the white ones were the same look as the pictures of Texas A&Ms.
smile.png

The Pharoah is the original wild color. I am not sure when the others came along but the whites were definitively after people started raising them.

@sallysunshine
I had a weird thing happen. All the chicks feathers are crusted together? I do not have cute fluffy chicks. Should I use a warm paper towel? Why would this happen? They have been in the brooder for a while. Even the one that hatched yesterday is still this way.
Sounds like they were a little sticky. A nice warm bath and a blow dryer should help them fluff out.

Ok. I had 47 eggs make lockdown... Out of those 1 died in shell. So sad
1f62d.png
and 7 have not hatched.... Yet.... I just had one pop out and surprised me so I'll not call the count until tomorrow's candle. That makes 39 live Duffy chicks so far. Best hatch ever. 2 dozen of those eggs were shipped and only 4 haven't hatched b

Back
Top Bottom