The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Quote: Thanks Ravyn. I guess it's a really good thing I got this stuff.

Here is a video of one..and there are more on the side...

Yep, just like this one. Only this one seems to be a little worse. It doesn't help that it panics and starts pretty much screaming for help. I got it set up so its head can't go upside down. It's happily sleeping now. Sad thing is, this is one of my Chanteclers.

Momentary panic!!!
Just checked my incubator and the set temp was at 101.5!??? And my thermometers read 102 and rising!!!

Humidity was thankfully at 70% so cracked the lid a bit while I figured out that the set temp was way higher than it should be lowered it and closed the lid.
Humidity didn't drop much a few % it's back up now and the temp is normal.

SO GLAD I checked it when I did. I was only like that for about 10 mins.

What would cause my hova bator 1588 to randomly spike the set temperature like that?
dirty sensor.

Anyone know what's going on here? It can hold its head up some, but it starts to drift until it's completely upside down. Got it in a cup with its head supported and gave it some Nutri-Drench.

0.jpg
Treat for wry neck. Nutridrench is good but liquid E should be added.

Last edited:
So my total amount of chicks were 14/17. The 3 that died died around day 14. I have 4 shipped F2 Olive egger chicks, and 10 barnyard mixes. I will name all the mixes when I post the pictures in the morning.

Maybe I'm just a bad owner or something but one of my buff orps had something similar except it wasn't nearly as bad, it just kept holding it's head backwards against its back and occasionally flipped backwards, but then other times seemed a little better/normal and anyway, I was told it was possibly wry neck and nutri drench may help but didn't have any (do now) and couldn't drive so here comes the bad owner part.. I did nothing for her. BUT. She started recovering on her own within a few days, better and better, and now she's fine. I got them as day olds in October from Meyer and they are now I think 21 or 22 weeks old. I ordered 2 of each breed, 4 breeds, but one Barred Rock died and i also ordered their free chick option, and the extra just so happened to be an extra Buff Orpington :) so 9 total, 8 now since the BR, and all 3 Orps are now thriving and doing really well and I couldn't tell ya which one was the little wry neck one. :) but of course my method of doing nothing is not recommended and your chick looks worse so I'd do something, which you are. Also I now have gro gel, vital pack plus, nutri drench, and sav a chick, and wi use them next batch of chicks if needed

Last edited:
Okay here are my hatch totals.

Set total: 112
Total Lockdown: 85
Hatch Total: 64

Total %: 57.14%
Total Fertile %: 76.19%.

Not great. Seems to me the larger amount set the less hatch percentage rate I get. Don't know but it seems that way to me.

My hatch total: set 12 eggs and 2 were not fertile. 10 locked down, 5 chicks hatched. Considering they traveled from Indiana to AZ, I am OK with that.

Of my 5, 4/5 are Ameraucana. 8 of those made it into lockdown. 1 had the world's worst air cell and died. 2 quitters. Only had 3 heritage Dominique egg to begin, 1 was a quitter one pipped through the wrong membrane and drowned itself, poor baby :(

Back
Top Bottom