The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Turns out he was just fine his. Problem was that there was no blood it's that the egg membrain was so tight he could not move it was like shrink rap on him. He is now free with my help and drying off in the Bator.ill post pics when he's dry
He lived and he is healthy
woot.gif

Oooh...I'm quite excited to see these too!  :ya  Because I haven't seen any hatch yet.
(And the turkey in your avy is "killing" me. :love   SO wanting turkeys this year.:yiipchick )

I know, eh? :celebrate  

Thank you :) That's my Romeo, he's a huge sweet heart :) If you get a chance to get turkey eggs and hatch them yourself, your poults will imprint on you and become like feathered dogs :)

Quote: I'd love that!
clap.gif
But It's also what I'm afraid of.
big_smile.png
I already have chickens who know their name and come when they're called. They also follow me around...and into the house.
love.gif
th.gif

Do you eat any of your turkeys? I'd like to raise my own turkeys to eat but, um, yeah....I already know what's going to happen.
roll.png
I'm going to have A LOT of pet turkeys. I'll start with a pair and end up with 50. That's what's going to happen.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I'd love that! :clap But It's also what I'm afraid of. :D   I already have chickens who know their name and come when they're called. They also follow me around...and into the house. :love  :th  

Do you eat any of your turkeys?  I'd like to raise my own turkeys to eat but, um, yeah....I already know what's going to happen.:rolleyes:   I'm going to have A LOT of pet turkeys. I'll start with a pair and end up with 50. That's what's going to happen. :gig  

Lol, yes, we do eat some of them. I grow out a few extras every year and TRY to keep the turkey population down. Any that get aggressive are dinner and any that aren't friendly or that have a trait that shouldn't be bred forward head to the freezer. Though, I did have one picked out for Christmas last year and was named Dinner who became so sweet that I refused to eat him. He found a home on a big farm with a few ladies instead :) I still get pictures of him now and then lol

Nice! I just hatched a bunch of Pekin Swedes. (Or as I like to call them, Swedish Pekins :p) They're pretty cool looking.

I got the eggs from someone and I'm not keeping the babies. I've just never hatched duck eggs so I wanted to try :)

I like the name! Swedish Pekins..... Nice :) the lady I got the eggs from has hatched the eggs before and gotten silver ducklings! I'm excited to see what hatches

I am! We have Japanese Quail and a Texas A&M. What do you have?

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Finally someone hatching some quails! I'm hatching some Red Tennessee Mountain quails. If your interested in getting some,be careful because they are really aggressive toward other quails good luck hatching! :D

Last edited:
We will almost certainly be hatching some coturnix quail if we get the coolerbator out. Otherwise we may just stick with the chicken eggs. I don't want to do large fowl and coturnix eggs at the same time the size is too different.

Now I've heard some people say that you can't/shouldn't do quail and chickens or ducks together. Is this true?

We have our first quail eggs in the bator right now due in 12-13 days. I'm dieing for them to hatch although I think it's actually 11-12 days BC I think my bator didn't change the counter for the first day or two. Oddly. Never had a problem with it changing before. It's changing now though so okay.

Anyway we have our first coturnix quail eggs ever in the bator right now. Back in December I got some chicks from a BYC friend and unfortunately after a few escaped the brooder and were killed we ended up with only one female and 5 males. The boys are headed for freezer camp two are already done the others just need to be. We are of course trying to add more females.

This is a test run to see how they do. We will then probably be ordering some quail hatching eggs to add new blood, size, and color.

We also have some bantam eggs in the bator with this test run of quail because we lost our OEGB roo. It's a hail Mary try at getting some more of his incredible offspring. They will be two-three more days than the quail.

So far all the quail eggs seem fertile and developing the chicken eggs a few are not developing. I didn't expect the chicken eggs all too as some of them are older and one was in the fridge. I am also not sure how many if any will be pure OEGB as some of our silkie eggs are indistinguishable from the OEGB.

Finger crossed though and can't wait to be in the Easter hatchalong again this year! :)

I'm so happy your hatching some coturnix for the first time, they are a very good breed I'll keep my finger crossed for you! As for keeping them with your chickens I never done it before but I do keep some Texas a&M with my Pekin ducks and their fine. But I still wouldn't recommend it because quail feed is very different from duck and chicken feed. And quail are a lot smaller and cannot fly away all that well if a hen is bullying it. Best of luck and hope your eggs hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom