The "addiction" to hatching hopefully saved my batch last night!

4boysmom

Songster
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
I had moved the eggs out of the turner around 9 or 10:00 into egg cartons and gotten the bator filled up for the last 3 day sprint. DS#3 was sick, so I was up late trying to wash sheets & comforters, etc....anyway, you know how you look even though you know nothing is happening yet? I checked in on the little eggies around midnight & my humidity was 91%!!!! The egg cartons were starting to wick up the water. You never saw me move so fast as to get those eggs out of the cartons and resituate the entire operation. Made some adjustments... put new cartons on plastic lids ( like pedestals ) so they wouldn't touch the wire and put the eggs in the new cartons. Watched off & on for another hour and finally got everything good on temp & humidity (60%). This morning, it's still good. Hopefully, I caught it in time that they didn't drown.

8 Salmon Faverolles
14 Welsummer
3 mutt

Sometimes it's a good thing to be lurking at the bator window!!!
wink.png

thumbsup.gif

I don't know your 'bator, but I hatched in cardboard cartons, too. I used a cheapo version of the meshed rubber shelf liner on most of the wire- that may be what kept the cartons dry. But the wire in the Genesis 1588 is well above the water anyway.

Good luck with the hatch!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
woot.gif

Quote:
I think that's what messed me up - I had filled the wells very full, hoping not to have to add any water until all had hatched....I think the shelf liner started acting as the wick and passed it on to my cartons....next time, I won't fill them quite so full!

Back
Top Bottom