The adventures of Barbara (BR)

In the pic of the Frizzie family, I think the chick on the left is going to give Barbara a run for her money when it comes to biggest butt!!!
big_smile.png

1. You HAVE to write a book!
big_smile.png

2. I think you should enter the photo contest with the first pic. on this thread or another good one.

3. LOVE Leroy really pretty what color mix is he?

4. Do you have any Barbra mugs left I would like to get one?

Thanks for writing I love to read it and Check it every day!

Happy-Hens

So ...

Poor Mrs Chickendad has not only got the whole family over for the 4th of July
hugs.gif
, and a HUMONGOUS drama trying to find the frizzie family
ep.gif
, but she has all of us clamouring for more

stories!!!!
caf.gif

So glad everyone was safe and sound!
wee.gif

And thank you for making my day yet again Mrs Chickendad!!!!
thumbsup.gif
love.gif

Just today got done reading Barbara's story. She reigns supreme!! And now she has another namesake. My girls are the greatest, my 2 faves out of all 16 chooks. They were the very first ones to walk the tightrope (edge of brooder box), and escaped from said brooder on a couple of occasions as babies.

Here are my 2 girls! Babs (of course named for Barbara), and Annie(short for Antics).
They are roughly 3 months old now.

90662_013.jpg

90662_014.jpg

Hope the pic uploads work.

A Murder Mystery

Barbara held her wings out in an eagle pose, trying to cool off. She bathed under spa tree #1 until she had a full load, then marched up on to the deck and shook herself. Dirt went flying everywhere. Mrs. Chickendad had just swept the deck clean, and Barbara had shook about a half-cup of dirt right back on it. For a bird with not-so-many feathers, she certainly could move a lot of dirt. She and Monica spent the rest of the afternoon excavating the newly planted flower bed, getting that uncomfortable mulch out of the way. Of the sixteen bags of mulch that the Chickendads have put on the beds, there is about one bag (so far) of it decorating the walkways.

It has been a disastrous week. The heat has kept the Chickendads filling the waterers over and over. They let as many birds out to free range as could be managed, but one of the rock girls still succumbed to the heat.

The worst part was the appearance of a new predator. According to the DNR, it sounds like a weasel (mink?) of some kind has gotten into the coop at night and killed all eight of the young BLRW. Two nights later it returned and took two of the cochin boys, unfortunately not the obnoxious ones. The Chickendads set a live trap Friday evening and baited it with the unfortunate rock girl who had died earlier. In the morning, there had been some interest, but the bait was untouched and the trap was not sprung.

Chickenboy is here today and has appointed himself Chief Predator Tracker. He is scanning the fields with the binoculars from the tree house, trying to find the killer. The Chickendads explained that it is a nocturnal animal and won’t be seen during the day, but Chickenboy needs to be involved in the hunt for the murderer of his precious chickens, and it gives him something to do.

When out free-ranging, the chickens usually return to their own coops, but Wednesday night, only four of the five rock boys came in. The fifth was nowhere to be seen. The next day, driving home from the store, the Chickendads spotted a white chicken standing in the yard of the Neighbor Who Brings Melons. He was just standing there and his eyes were swollen shut (the chicken, not the neighbor). He got a ride home and first aid to his sore-looking head. He also has a bite wound on his back, so he may have tangled with the dogs belonging to the Neighbor Who Has Horses. The Little Rock Boy is currently in a hospital cage with antibiotics and special foods, but he still appears to be in a state of shock.

Frizzie and Frizzabella and their babies are venturing further from their home base in the garage these days. Frizzie has been teaching her children about plants, bathing, and digging for worms. Frizzabella is not nearly as adventurous as Frizzie, and she only has one child to take care of. Frizzabella leads him around and around inside the hot garage, venturing out only occasionally to explore the grass and flowers.

The Chickendads are hopeful they will catch the wicked predator soon. Chickendad has found his old .22 rifle from his boyhood in the Gold Rush, so once the predator is found it will go to the Great Chicken Restaurant in the Sky.

I feel so very sad when any of us loses a chicken. I hope that you find this predator in a hurry!
We have 15 chickens, 2 ducks, and 3 guineas that free range. Every night I do a head count and panic if one is missing. We have many more chickens and guineas that are not old enough to be out and about, and I can't even imagine how I can keep up with all of them once they are out. We've had no predators in a long time, and with this horrible draught we are in, I'm surprised they aren't coming in at night for water...and food.

Oh i am so sorry!!! is there a chance you could borrow a dog and tie it near the coops? so it could alert you? we have rehabbed our trouble dogs, they have become chicken protectors, one we let run at nite to remind the predators the cafe is closed- after loosing our goose, all but one duck and some very sweet hens, it was war.... then they run loose during the day with the chickens-

how is the little one in the hospital doing?

Back
Top Bottom