The Aerie Chicken Project

Welcome to the Aerie Chicken Project!

Obtaining parent stock
Last Updated: 2.1.17​

Genetics was one of my favorite subjects in undergrad, and now that I've gotten into chickens, it seemed like a good way to put what I learned into practice. (Well, and remembering all of it in the first place! It's been a few years.) I'll be documenting my progress in creating my own breed of chicken.

Currently, what I have planned is an iridescent black chicken with the fine features of a Sumatra and nearly the size of a Jersey Giant that lays large blue-green eggs at a decent rate. Roosters should have long, flowing tails. The temperament should be intelligent and docile. I'd love for the chicks to be auto-sexing. However, after doing some reading on Oriental gamefowl breeds, I've decided I'd like a breed that is more raptor-esque in appearance with an upright carriage. They should be dual purpose birds with muscular bodies.

Comb Type: Pea comb
Egg Color: Olive to teal
Egg Size: Medium to large
Production: Good (3-4/week)
Bird Size: Large (hens: 8-10 lbs, roosters: 10-12 lbs)
Hardiness: Cold and heat hardy (preference on heat)
Personality: Curious, bold, chatty, friendly, docile
Foundation Breeds will include: Black Sumatra, Black Jersey Giant, Olive Egger, Isbar, Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Black Sex-linked, Black Australorp, and Saipan. I'm thinking of adding Ayam Cemanis into the mix as my mother is very interested in obtaining a breeding flock of Cemanis in the future. If I already have some, why not? :) They could definitely up the beauty of the black in Aeries!

As far as colors go, initially, I was intending an all black chicken, but lately, I've been inspired by Alohas and Exchequer Leghorns. Having a mottled variety could be interesting! I also find Black Copper Marans roosters to be particularly beautiful in their color, so that could be something else down the road.

Currently, I have an Olive Egger rooster and Ameraucana hen. I have ordered sexed chicks of Sumatra, Black Jersey Giant, Australorp, and Cream Legbar from Meyers Hatchery. I'm thinking of ordering some Black Sex-linked and Saipan from Ideal Poultry. Anyone have any thoughts on them? I'll be looking for additional birds elsewhere to help maintain a diverse genetic pool.
Any thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated! This is my first time playing around with genetics, so I could definitely use some help!

Note: Yes, I realize I forgot to add spurs on my rooster doodle. But only after I had already finished and uploaded it. Oops!
Not sure if I’ll get a response, but out of curiosity, how is this project going so far?

Not sure if I’ll get a response, but out of curiosity, how is this project going so far?
1649702400113.png

You won't get one from the OP. lol

Back
Top Bottom