The african and chinese goose thread!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ruffledfeathers1234, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Im not sure when mine started, i bought the older ones in March and April last year. My toulouse were only 7 mos old at the time and im still waiting for them to show interest in breeding. The guy i bought the chinese and romans from said that the chinese started laying in december and the others in january but i think he was just BSing me.
    I have heard that bubble wrap along with packing peanuts and some saw dust is a good way to ship the combo is supposed to work well together in stablizing the eggs and doesnt let them shift. So im going to try that.

2. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

3. Yea they arent the best with care. I had contacts mailed to me and they left them on my porch steps and the package was a bag which was the same color as my porch even though there were chairs that it could have been left on.
    Im not charging For the eggs im sending them for free to her. Since she was the first to be interested and was willing to be a test run with my shipping eggs i said i would give her the eggs.

4. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Still waiting for eggs after a lot of breeding

5. I am worse than a kid waiting to open gifts. I did this last year when i only had the one pair. When i didnt find eggs from them even when March came around i bought geese that were laying. I cant do that this year lol

6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Ours are breeding! Started seeing it today, so I am hoping it will be soon. I usually use the eggs until I see fertility.

7. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Yea thats the job B-)
    My are still breeding but NO EGGS

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Status.. breeding...Eggs...-O-
    This cold has to be affecting the laying pattern [​IMG]

9. lwente

lwente Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Medford, Oregon
    So is mating a precursor to my females laying? I have 2 female and 1 male Chinese that hatched June 1st. Haven't seen any breeding and no eggs. [​IMG]

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My may 2012 hatched geese laid jan 29th the next year. It all started at the same time, nesting, breeding and eggs.
    So start watching in another month or so, is my guess.
    I should add, seems it was that way with mine about 30 years ago also. I havent kept geese for a long time.
    Started up my flock again may 2012.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by