The African and Chinese goose thread!!

I think this was ment for fowlmoma. I only have 5 goslings right now.
Yes, it was..I posted it and saw I´d written the wrong name, so already changed it. Sorry!
lol.png

And as he´s a shepherd, you may even be able to train him to help you get the geese in at a later date.  :D

Wouldn't that be a funny but really cute sight?

If he is trained up, any tips for breeding season? Could the ganders take it into their silly heads to attack him during breeding season? While many people would laughter at a gander chasing a large Shepard looking dog, I don't think the dog would find it the least bit funny. And the dog wouldn't put up with it for long either, those ganders can hurt when they get you. I got bit and slapped a few times as a child by my parents gander before I figured out how to sit on him. (I was going behind my parents back to play with him, shhhh). ;)

I asked this earlier, but can anyone ID this goslings breed? His feet and bill are nearly white, he has a small tuft on his head, he did have grey on his back but that's gone now, and he talks differently than my 4 Chinese goslings. So any idea what he is?

For comparison here is Jasper a suspected male Chinese gosling showing how handsome he is.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the compliments on Hansel! I'm in love with him!
Starfire669 he's an african. I special ordered him last year along with his mate who passed in Jan.
I DESPERATELY want a Belgian! I was in the veterinary field for 10yrs and we worked with Boeing's bomb dogs & also our cities Police narcotics dogs. All Belgians. ....I fell in love. ...your very lucky to have such a regal, intelligent, & loyal dog! I have a mini horse & mini donkey as guardian's of my flock! They do a FANTASTIC job! Lizzie, my mini donk is FIERCELY territorial!
LB-
I giggled when I read what you wrote.....your being so kind when you say you know how nervous I am with all this.....
OK
here's my "thing".....& I'm quite prepared to be labeled "nervous nelly or over the top etc etc" I am very aware of my OCD, ADD.....lol
I am SO bonded & over the moon for Hansel that I'm SUPER EXCITED to have TWO of his goslings. I had REALLY hoped there would be enough goslings for me to get my "fix" AND for Hansel & lydikins to raise some on their own.....
clearly that may not happen as were down to the last two eggs.....I'm praying & keeping my fingers & toes crossed that at least one of those eggs hatches as I'd love to see my big beautiful boy being a daddy!
I'm not promising I'll give Slade & Sloane back to momma....I'll think on it....I'm so so so enjoying them....
they're surely the most precious babies alive!?
I'm heading out now to check on lydikins and her 2 eggs.
I've some really good pics of my flock, I'll try to get some on soon, seems like it takes forever and then it doesn't always work? !
update soon..

Fowlmoma, thank you! With 4 siberians rascal don't get the attention and credit he is due. I am very lucky and grateful to have found and rescued him. He is my boy, and my first solo rescue! He chased off a man who broke into my apartment when it was just me and my 2 boys late 1 night, before we bought this house, and I spoil him rotten! When I got him he was in bad shape, took a lot of care to get him healthy. Took longer to rehab him, couldn't put a freaking collar on because he was terrified, think someone used choker on him.

I love your gander, I had originally wanted a pair of white Chinese and a pair of brown but I couldn't find any brown so I got all whites. Out of the 6 we purchased, I was going to keep 4 and give my sister the remaining 2. Now I have to find another gosling. I also seem to have 4 boys and 1 girl. The gosling who died seemed to be female as well. I was gonna trade the odd gosling to a man in exchange for a female Chinese. I also have 1 of the "male" goslings bulling the others. He started ripping patches off them! Its gotten better with increased yard time and adding vitamins to their food but hasnt stopped completly. He may go as well, that kind of aggression can't be good in a 6 week old gosling. I worry for my 11, 12, and ,18 year old kids being hurt.

Thanks for all the compliments on Hansel! I'm in love with him!
Starfire669 he's an african. I special ordered him last year along with his mate who passed in Jan.
I DESPERATELY want a Belgian! I was in the veterinary field for 10yrs and we worked with Boeing's bomb dogs & also our cities Police narcotics dogs. All Belgians. ....I fell in love. ...your very lucky to have such a regal, intelligent, & loyal dog! I have a mini horse & mini donkey as guardian's of my flock! They do a FANTASTIC job! Lizzie, my mini donk is FIERCELY territorial!
LB-
I giggled when I read what you wrote.....your being so kind when you say you know how nervous I am with all this.....
OK
here's my "thing".....& I'm quite prepared to be labeled "nervous nelly or over the top etc etc" I am very aware of my OCD, ADD.....lol
I am SO bonded & over the moon for Hansel that I'm SUPER EXCITED to have TWO of his goslings. I had REALLY hoped there would be enough goslings for me to get my "fix" AND for Hansel & lydikins to raise some on their own.....
clearly that may not happen as were down to the last two eggs.....I'm praying & keeping my fingers & toes crossed that at least one of those eggs hatches as I'd love to see my big beautiful boy being a daddy!
I'm not promising I'll give Slade & Sloane back to momma....I'll think on it....I'm so so so enjoying them....
they're surely the most precious babies alive!?
I'm heading out now to check on lydikins and her 2 eggs.
I've some really good pics of my flock, I'll try to get some on soon, seems like it takes forever and then it doesn't always work? !
update soon..
Well, Nervous Nelly or not...you sound far more bubbly now, so that´s good. We can only say what we´ve experienced or what we´d do...the rest is up to you. Have fun with your gozzies.

Your the 2nd person the ID him as a Roman Tufted, so I guess that what he is. He is a sweet little guy, but I don't have enough land to support a ton of birds. So I want to stick with 1 breed/type of geese. If he had been African I would probably have kept him and let him pair with a Chinese. he will get a good home though, the man taking him has several breeds of geese that are kept for different purposes and he wants new blood in his flock. Unfortunately either his father or brother "stole" his brooder for some chicks and he can't brood geese. Since mine are out of the brooder this works for both of us. A couple of his pairs have/are hatching some goslings, he will attempt to vent sex those and give me a female in exchange. He is also interested in my aggressive gosling, I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with him.

Back
Top Bottom