The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Had a real heartbreak today, discovered something took all the eggs my broody goose had right out from under her. No eggshells anywhere. We have a raccoon sized trap, and squirrel trap, both are live traps of course, set in the goose house to determine who the thief was.My geese steer away from traps, they know what goes in them lol. I always know when I catch something, lots of alert calls, and hissing!
Raccoon or possum won't attempt to attack a goose, but they will sure go after eggs and goslings.

Had a real heartbreak today, discovered something took all the eggs my broody goose had right out from under her. No eggshells anywhere. We have a raccoon sized trap, and squirrel trap, both are live traps of course, set in the goose house to determine who the thief was.My geese steer away from traps, they know what goes in them lol. I always know when I catch something, lots of alert calls, and hissing!
Raccoon or possum won't attempt to attack a goose, but they will sure go after eggs and goslings.
I'm sorry to hear about the eggs, hope you catch the thief. I believe the raccoons we have would attack geese they are very bold.

Quote: Got my first one already! I put a game cam in the coop, they were reaching right under the hen! The Embden gander attacked one of them, my coons must be cowards, it ran off
lau.gif

Got my first one already! I put a game cam in the coop, they were reaching right under the hen! The Embden gander attacked one of them, my coons must be cowards, it ran off
lau.gif
My gosh I never heard of that before. I can imagine the Embden gander attacking it though mine acts like he's rabid most of the breeding season. You don't lock your geese up at night? I would be terrified of the Carnegie I would find in the morning if I didn't. Not only do we have Raccoons but way more preds. that would kill for a goose meal.

Hello! I've been browsing around for quite some time. This is my first time owning geese. I am learning as I go and this site has been helpful in learning all there is to know. Here are some pictures of my geese.

This is Penny (who I think might be a gander but was told was a female out of my pair.)

After we lost Penny's partner, I decided to get her some friends so she wouldn't be the only goose in my flock. Here are Chuckie, Lucy, Lola and Lilah. I was told they were 3 girls and a boy. Only time will tell.

And here is Penny with the goslings. She has really taken a liking to them

So your adult goose has taken a liking to the goslings? That's good to hear. I've always wondered if they would get along just in case something ever happened to mine and I needed to mix younger geese with older ones. Keep us updated!

Quote:
They have a fenced area and an open house (2 houses actually). We had a tree fall on the entire enclosure over a year ago. no birds were harmed, but it took out the top of the run and damaged my chicken coop roof. I use sheds for coops and goose houses, well any of the poultry and waterfowl. We have to tear completely down and rebuild. It wasn't covered under our insurance due to our deductable and coverages. We decided to relocate the whole coop setup, and have started building smaller tractor style coops for the different breeds.
We don't seem to have coyotes, just raccoon and other smaller predators like fox and possum. The geese attack raccoons, but I have 10 mature geese and they can be real aggressive towards small predators. This coon reached right under the hen and took the egg, it was about 3am. I should have saved the pictures, it was really bold!

They have a fenced area and an open house (2 houses actually). We had a tree fall on the entire enclosure over a year ago. no birds were harmed, but it took out the top of the run and damaged my chicken coop roof. I use sheds for coops and goose houses, well any of the poultry and waterfowl. We have to tear completely down and rebuild. It wasn't covered under our insurance due to our deductable and coverages. We decided to relocate the whole coop setup, and have started building smaller tractor style coops for the different breeds.
We don't seem to have coyotes, just raccoon and other smaller predators like fox and possum. The geese attack raccoons, but I have 10 mature geese and they can be real aggressive towards small predators. This coon reached right under the hen and took the egg, it was about 3am. I should have saved the pictures, it was really bold!
That is amazing it was that bold.

Is there any way to break my grander from running the two females off their nest all the time and i've tried penning him up away from them and he calls until they come running to him
he.gif

Is there any way to break my grander from running the two females off their nest all the time and i've tried penning him up away from them and he calls until they come running to him
he.gif
I have never heard of this my 2 ganders stay close by but never run the females off the nest. Is he a youngin?Maybe try giving them some walls for privacy where he can see them but can't get into where they are sitting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom