The African and Chinese goose thread!!

My African trio, two are pure breed Africans, and one is (I think) African X Chinese, shes still laying eggs (13th of June!).
Untill last week they were at my uncle's house.
The pure African female was sitting on about 25 eggs this spring, the other one kept laying in the same nest and disturb her at night, and because of that none of them hatched, but as candling revealed, they were fertile
hmm.png

As I said they other one is laying, and I put 8 of her eggs in the incubator last week, once I get some more I'll put them under a muscovy, so hopefully we still have chance of getting some african goslings this year.
I don't know how big they are, but I think they are not the biggest for African geese. Compare them to white commercial Embden X Toulouse goslings which were 6 WEEKS OLD in those pictures!!! They are growing sooooo fast!

My African trio, two are pure breed Africans, and one is (I think) African X Chinese, shes still laying eggs (13th of June!).
Untill last week they were at my uncle's house.
The pure African female was sitting on about 25 eggs this spring, the other one kept laying in the same nest and disturb her at night, and because of that none of them hatched, but as candling revealed, they were fertile
hmm.png

As I said they other one is laying, and I put 8 of her eggs in the incubator last week, once I get some more I'll put them under a muscovy, so hopefully we still have chance of getting some african goslings this year.
I don't know how big they are, but I think they are not the biggest for African geese. Compare them to white commercial Embden X Toulouse goslings which were 6 WEEKS OLD in those pictures!!! They are growing sooooo fast!

They sure are pretty. and no roo/I mean Leg horn hen photo bombing the pic either.
wink.png
lol

We have 2 brown chinese geese named Gossie and Buttercup. We bought Gossie as a gosling from efowl.com along with another goose we named Gertie. Gertie died of a fox attack 2 years ago and Gossie was so depressed, he looked at his reflection in our car and didn't do anything else for at least 2 days. That's when we went to craigslist and found 2 females and 1 male. We bought them, Gossie then got in fights with the male named Charlie. We gave Charlie and another female named Rosie to our grandma who has geese and we kept the last female named Buttercup. They now are living happily ever after.

We have 2 brown chinese geese named Gossie and Buttercup. We bought Gossie as a gosling from efowl.com along with another goose we named Gertie. Gertie died of a fox attack 2 years ago and Gossie was so depressed, he looked at his reflection in our car and didn't do anything else for at least 2 days. That's when we went to craigslist and found 2 females and 1 male. We bought them, Gossie then got in fights with the male named Charlie. We gave Charlie and another female named Rosie to our grandma who has geese and we kept the last female named Buttercup. They now are living happily ever after.
Nice story glad you were able to find Gossie a mate it really does make all the difference in their lives, especially when they lose one. Glad to hear they are living happily ever after.
smile.png

Wise choice, and thank you for seeing your gander was in mourning! They sure do need a soul mate. They have a lot of devotion and bond to the flock they belong to, even their human flockmates. Ganders not raised together are really difficult to comingle, you made the right choices.

I'm pretty sure a raccoon got into my chicken run. One of my chickens was dead, and feathers were everywhere. I think she was partially eaten because her head was gone. There was blood and more feathers high up on the run. I think it tried to climb with her, and then dropped her. I think it tried to pull her through the fencing. None of my other chickens were hurt. The one chicken was the "runt", I suppose. They are all molting. And to just make my day worse, I went to my goose run, and tapped on the barrel where my hen sat. She usually answers me back, but she didn't. Some of her feathers were scattered, and she was dead too. I think the raccoon bit her behind the skull, because there was blood and it looked separated. I am so worried that they were in pain. They were my babies and I love them so much. My gander is fine, but I'm worried he will die of heartbreak. I know some birds can do that. I can't bear to lose him to. I am so devastated. My birds are my best friends. I had 8, but now only have 6. We are trying to catch the raccoon. I don't know what to do now. I'm terrified and absolutely heartbroken.
1f62d.png
1f494.png

I am very sorry for your losses
hugs.gif
, but we can't stress enough how important it is to lock up our poultry in a secure building at dusk, they really don't stand a chance with predators. And it will be back. We maybe able to go months even a year or so but eventually they will see and easy meal and go for it. Security is the only way to get our flocks safe. Very sad day indeed.

As for your gander I have heard of them mourning them selves to death, I would advise getting your set up secure and then finding him a female by then he'll be ready to accept her.

I was not home to lock them in.
1f622.png
And it terrifies me about my girl goose. I have no idea how she was able to be reached. Her barrel is very hard to get into from outside the run. My gander would have attacked, but there were no signs at all. I don't have money for another goose, and I don't know what he'd do with another female.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just got up this morning to find something got one of my baby ducks and injured/traumatized another one(not sure it is going to make it).They have been putting themselves up but apparently didn't last night. Only found a 'poof' of feathers, nothing else. THEN, to make matters worse, I was trying to catch the babies to move them and one got out and my dog almost killed it. I think it will make it though.
Heartbreaking for sure. Nature is so cruel.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just got up this morning to find something got one of my baby ducks and injured/traumatized another one(not sure it is going to make it).They have been putting themselves up but apparently didn't last night. Only found a 'poof' of feathers, nothing else. THEN, to make matters worse, I was trying to catch the babies to move them and one got out and my dog almost killed it. I think it will make it though.
Heartbreaking for sure. Nature is so cruel.
Very sorry for your losses too, you say they were putting themselves up? did you lock the door? putting themselves up and the door standing open is just a big invitation for a pred to walk right in and get what ever it wants. I cannot stress enough security is the only way.

Back
Top Bottom