The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
Rare overcast day in Phoenix. Makes it a good day to take Chicken photos! Here is a pullet that was hatched out by Derek. She is small, but has wonderful color and yellow legs. Very cute!

100% American bred, not a Swedish Flower cross.

Haven't heard anything from our Pacific NW'ers Mabo and Tamra for a while. How's it going up there?

Last edited:
Here are some more pics of the girls.

This is a lavender Orpington pullet. She is really pretty and good sized.

Here are some of the spotty girls. Unfortunately, the one on the left with the straight comb and most spots died recently for no apparent reason. :-(

The Sussex roo is Big Red. He doesn't have near the spots of Big Spotty.

I enjoyed the blog update! Inspired me to get some pics up of some of my girls.

Sachet

Betty -- Look at those yellow legs!

Ginger

"Sachet" has GOT to be the full sibling to my Spotty roo! They are SO MUCH alike! Just female/male versions! So whatever hen was with whatever roo in my breeder pen . . . we clearly have a match! Yay! Wish we'd had a few more "Sachet" girls out here, but hey, I haven't had a chance to see how Stephen's are developing. If we're lucky, maybe he got one as well?

LOVE the legs on Betty! Plus she has white spots! Light background color! What a great hen. She'd cross great with a nice Sussex roo, maybe get you some spotted Sussex type hens with yellow legs.

And the bottom . . . total Ginger! Still has those slate legs, goshdarnit. Well, at least we have another Ginger in an outside flock . . . it's a start.

Autumn . . . verdict is still out? She might go well with a Confetti rooster, but right now not a lot of spots there? If she has either good size or yellow legs, great, if not, will be tough to find her a good boyfriend.

Last edited:
Here are some more pics of the girls.

Here are some of the spotty girls. Unfortunately, the one on the left with the straight comb and most spots died recently for no apparent reason. :-(

The Sussex roo is Big Red. He doesn't have near the spots of Big Spotty.

That top hen is just lovely!

Do you have another Sussex roo with more spots? I see some nice Buff gals that may be spotty carriers.

Gah! That's a bummer about losing that Sussex hen!!! She was nice!

Here's a photo of an Aloha x Sussex cross, she's smaller like the "mid size" Alohas, but wow, did she get spots! Kind of interesting to see how they differ in size from a pure Sussex, huh?

The spots are bigger, more spread out, and look at how much more white on the head. She's a young hen, too - she will get even more white as she ages. Not laying yet. Getting close - maybe five months, pushing six? Any day now!!!

I wonder if you cross your red/white mottled hen with a somewhat spotty Sussex rooster, if this is the kind of hen you'd get?

Last edited:
Green with envy on that one, Sommer. You would have thought out of all those Speckled Sussex cockerels I had that I would have gotten one Big spotted rooster. The ones with the most spots were the smallest ones of the bunch and none of them even came close to that. Wow! I would love to get my hands on a Sussex with that much white.

Back
Top Bottom