The Aloha Chicken Project

Hello everyone. I have just set 40 Aloha eggs. The new Sussex hen Alohachickens got came from me. I'm very excited to be a part of this project and showing off the babie. And I'm so glad that speckles has a purpose.
smile.png
I will post pics of the Leghorn cross babies to show thier yellow legs. Also, though they only carry 1 copy of the mottled gene, with dominant white to boot a few display a few mottled feathers. Maybe you guys can figure it out. Pics coming in am
Glad you found the thread! I can't wait to see the Leghorn cross chicks! I totally would have thought pink legs from the Sussex, and all white from the Leghorn. Goes to show I still have SO much to learn! And so much of this stuff is just . . . unknown???

MORE good news! Another local BYC'er posted an ad on Craigslist, and I was lucky enough to catch it. She was selling this lovely Sussex rooster that she hatched from BYC'er "Bargain"' hatching eggs! (The Garry Farm, in GA.)

I haven't seen him in person yet, but she says he's large. He has plenty of white, especially for a six month old rooster, that's for sure!

3K23L83Nf5L85G65Eed3rf66b3903946f1a44.jpg

So now we have a Garry Farm rooster, AND a new-bloodline Stromberg's hen. Wow, things just got a lot more interesting for this Spring! The Sussex -type hens will be going in with the little Pumpkin rooster, and this guy, I may pull out some of my very finest small, yellow legged hens to put with him. I have about five hens that are perfect in every way, except size.

I'm considering putting those in with him . . . all would likely turn into "lousy Sussex" as chicks, and would probably lose all the exotic colors, but we would know the cool stuff was back there, somewhere. He'd add size. I'd then turn his daughters back with this little Pumpkin boy next Fall. But first I'll see what Stephen has at his place to choose from!

Hello everyone. I have just set 40 Aloha eggs. The new Sussex hen Alohachickens got came from me. I'm very excited to be a part of this project and showing off the babie. And I'm so glad that speckles has a purpose. :) I will post pics of the Leghorn cross babies to show thier yellow legs. Also, though they only carry 1 copy of the mottled gene, with dominant white to boot a few display a few mottled feathers. Maybe you guys can figure it out. Pics coming in am

Welcome! Glad you are here!

MORE good news!  Another local BYC'er posted an ad on Craigslist, and I was lucky enough to catch it.  She was selling this lovely Sussex rooster that she hatched from BYC'er "Bargain"' hatching eggs!  (The Garry Farm, in GA.)  

I haven't seen him in person yet, but she says he's large.  He has plenty of white, especially for a six month old rooster, that's for sure!

3K23L83Nf5L85G65Eed3rf66b3903946f1a44.jpg

So now we have a Garry Farm rooster, AND a new-bloodline Stromberg's hen.  Wow, things just got a lot more interesting for this Spring!  The Sussex -type hens will be going in with the little Pumpkin rooster, and this guy, I may pull out some of my very finest small, yellow legged hens to put with him.  I have about five hens that are perfect in every way, except size.  

I'm considering putting those in with him . . . all would likely turn into "lousy Sussex" as chicks, and would probably lose all the exotic colors, but we would know the cool stuff was back there, somewhere.   He'd add size.  I'd then turn his daughters back with this little Pumpkin boy next Fall.  But first I'll see what Stephen has at his place to choose from!

Sommer that is great news! They are both so pretty!

Request! A chick,just one from that roo and speckles. I was looking at him before and he's just beautiful! Even if you have to keep her longer

It's really great to see the new birds you've found, Sommer, that's awesome! I love all the white spots and I am so excited about your new boy.

It's come to my attention that I haven't told you about the loss of my best Aloha hen. It was your favorite Sommer, the lightest colored ginger girl. She was such a pretty round girl with yellow legs. My DS got tired of waiting for his sister to come help him hold one of the breeder pens while he scooped out the used bedding, so he got on with the job along. The rest is cut & pasted from Consolidated Kansas.

I lost my best (naturally) Aloha hen to a freak pen accident involving my poor, tender-hearted 10 year old son. His 12 year old sister was partially at fault for refusing to follow protocol in having two there to prevent just such an accident. He didn't notice Nicoletta had come to join him and he turned loose of the pen to let it fall back into place, at the same time Nicoletta decided to dash in and have a scratch in the fresh bedding. Those kids just cried their little eyes out. I just explained that everyone makes mistakes and that's just how we learn. I told them they will never have heavy bookshelves that aren't anchored to the wall because they will already know what can happen, if their child decides to climb it. Better to lose a chicken, even a much loved chicken, than a child in later years. Poor kids, I hurt so badly for them, I forgot to hurt about losing my hen. She was a very sweet and chatty bird, I'm going to miss her terribly. I'm thankful she didn't suffer for her sake and the kids. What a disaster.
hit.gif
I absolutely hate losing birds.

It's really great to see the new birds you've found, Sommer, that's awesome! I love all the white spots and I am so excited about your new boy.

It's come to my attention that I haven't told you about the loss of my best Aloha hen. It was your favorite Sommer, the lightest colored ginger girl. She was such a pretty round girl with yellow legs. My DS got tired of waiting for his sister to come help him hold one of the breeder pens while he scooped out the used bedding, so he got on with the job along. The rest is cut & pasted from Consolidated Kansas.

I lost my best (naturally) Aloha hen to a freak pen accident involving my poor, tender-hearted 10 year old son. His 12 year old sister was partially at fault for refusing to follow protocol in having two there to prevent just such an accident. He didn't notice Nicoletta had come to join him and he turned loose of the pen to let it fall back into place, at the same time Nicoletta decided to dash in and have a scratch in the fresh bedding. Those kids just cried their little eyes out. I just explained that everyone makes mistakes and that's just how we learn. I told them they will never have heavy bookshelves that aren't anchored to the wall because they will already know what can happen, if their child decides to climb it. Better to lose a chicken, even a much loved chicken, than a child in later years. Poor kids, I hurt so badly for them, I forgot to hurt about losing my hen. She was a very sweet and chatty bird, I'm going to miss her terribly. I'm thankful she didn't suffer for her sake and the kids. What a disaster.
hit.gif
Oh, that's just sad all the way around! Geez, losing a good hen and trauma for the kids all in one swoop. How awful!

And of course . . . I don't suppose you have hatched out any chicks of hers as a replacement? I hope something from her bloodline made it into your flock, somewhere. It's why I get so paranoid, the very second that I get one that is really nice, I'm ready to jump right into replacement mode, I swear! I'm already looking at my flock figuring who I need to isolate at the end of the season, so I can hatch out their chicks and make SURE they go to a "safe" home!

It's really great to see the new birds you've found, Sommer, that's awesome! I love all the white spots and I am so excited about your new boy. It's come to my attention that I haven't told you about the loss of my best Aloha hen. It was your favorite Sommer, the lightest colored ginger girl. She was such a pretty round girl with yellow legs. My DS got tired of waiting for his sister to come help him hold one of the breeder pens while he scooped out the used bedding, so he got on with the job along. The rest is cut & pasted from Consolidated Kansas. I lost my best (naturally) Aloha hen to a freak pen accident involving my poor, tender-hearted 10 year old son. His 12 year old sister was partially at fault for refusing to follow protocol in having two there to prevent just such an accident. He didn't notice Nicoletta had come to join him and he turned loose of the pen to let it fall back into place, at the same time Nicoletta decided to dash in and have a scratch in the fresh bedding. Those kids just cried their little eyes out. I just explained that everyone makes mistakes and that's just how we learn. I told them they will never have heavy bookshelves that aren't anchored to the wall because they will already know what can happen, if their child decides to climb it. Better to lose a chicken, even a much loved chicken, than a child in later years. Poor kids, I hurt so badly for them, I forgot to hurt about losing my hen. She was a very sweet and chatty bird, I'm going to miss her terribly. I'm thankful she didn't suffer for her sake and the kids. What a disaster.
hit.gif
How heart breaking Karen. I'm so sorry. Why is it always our favorite hen?

Back
Top Bottom