The Aloha Chicken Project

just wanted to report that i sold all of my NONyellow leg babies last week and then went on vacation for 5 days. i got back and these babies have doubled in size! its hot out there but i need to move the grow out pen to another part of the yard so i can give them some more room - i will try to get some pictures at that time. i see lots of roosters in there...

Deerfield - Oh, wow! Brave Frankie!!! So glad she was able to help save the Buffs!!!

Notinoz - Ugh, the heat is AWFUL. And of course there would be a ton of roos, aren't there always? LOL!

Last edited:
Oh my Deerfield - another broody for you too? I've never had a year like this one. How wonderful is Frankie! So glad she is okay and you didn't have any losses.

notinoz, It's amazing what a difference a few days makes! I had a lot of cockerels, too, but there you go.

Thanks, HEChicken. I should give a shout out to DS who heard the ruckus and ran to the rescue. When he saw it was a hawk he grabbed some small sticks and threw them at the hawk and screamed at it. Nice work. He probably saved Frankie's life. She has been such a sweet bird and who would have thought that being raised in among the throngs of birds at Frank's place. The kids had long ago proclaimed that she had "pet" status. This certainly confirms her place among the pets.

I put all of the birds in the house for the rest of today and we will be very careful about letting them back out into the yard. It was warm today but with a fan none of the birds were panting, so they just stayed in all day. They seemed more than happy about it. Poor things. What a trauma. We typically work in the yard in the mornings so for awhile, we'll let the birds out in the morning and put them back in for the afternoon, then let them back out when we go out to rake up the bedding, collect eggs and clean out pens. As long as it doesn't make it into the triple digits we should be able to get by with it with the fan running.

Hi All,
Keep the ground moist so the birds can dust damp dirt between their feathers, a flooded shallow depression in the dirt for then to walk through helps to keep them cool as well.

S/Be
For THEM to walk ...

Can't figure out how to edit.
If you look at the bottom left of any of your posts, you will see a pencil button and clicking on that will allow you to edit. If you do it within the first 60 seconds of submitting the post, it won't even show "last edited by....." I've done that a lot - hit submit, immediately seen a typo, hit the pencil, correct it, hit submit again, and voila. If you don't notice the need to edit until after the first minute you can still edit but it will show in italics under your post, what time you edited it.

Finally got mine moved outside into a grow out pen. I have 13 left. Lots of roos went to a guy on a large farm.

Back
Top Bottom