The Aloha Chicken Project

Okay, so the previous post showed regular Sussex pullets from Ideal Hatchery, and showed how the amount of white can vary. Now I'm going to use the pics to help show what degree of white I'm going for in Alohas.

Here's a pic showing "lesser white" which is OK for Sussex and Swedish currently:

LESSER WHITE - as demonstrated by a pure Sussex chick from Ideal Hatchery (above pic)

LESSER WHITE - as demonstrated by a 1/2 Sussex, 1/4 Orpington, 1/4 Aloha hen, "Nui" (below pic)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, MODERATE WHITE - a heavier degree of white mottling, that is currently seen in some pure Sussex.

ABOVE - Stromberg's Hatchery Sussex hen, showing moderate to heavy white for a Sussex.
BELOW - Sussex pullet from Ideal showing moderate white spotting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last, EXTREME WHITE - what I am breeding for in Alohas. Amount of white rarely, if ever seen, in any pure Sussex or Swedish:

Above Pics: Aloha hen of Sussex breeding, showing Extreme White mottling.

Note that white extends all the way up neck, across back, and into tail.

Anyway, now I have pics of the whole spectrum!!! The above hen is NOT a "perfect" Aloha, she has the darker (Sussex Mahogany) base color and lacks yellow legs.

However, you can see how *even if we did not change anything here* that she does NOT look like the other "regular" Sussex hens. And yes, there are rare Sussex hens who get more white as they age, so at five years they might look kind of like her, but this is her amount of white at FIVE MONTHS. She is just about ready to start laying.

Anyway, just look at the amount of white spotting. This is about as "perfect" 50/50 blend as I could possibly hope for, and illustrates the ideal amount of spotting I'd like to see on Alohas, regardless of the base color being dark brown, gold, etc.

As this hen ages, she may grow more white, but that is OK with Alohas. Ideal blend is half white half color, but anything from 40% white up to 80% white would be fine.

Last edited:
Here are a few more photos of the almost-grown-up hens:

You can see there are a few girls in here that are looking very Aloha! I still need to do a final culling for the breeding season, but there are a few new gems in the flock . . . .

Here is the last of the roos that will be culled. My roos I kept (3 if I remember right) were too busy for their photo opp. tonight. lol

Maybe they won't be so busy tomorrow trying to breed the two older alohas and I can get pics of them to show you Sommer. I have two roos that I am very excited about, the other two are pretty good but not great.

out of 10 roosters 2 made it through the final cull. one has crooked toes, but has good size and color so i kept him. i will try to post pics soon, but very busy this weekend.

ABOVE: the white girl is a girl after all!!!! she is sooo white with yellow legs, first one ever for me. its the same one in both pictures i just wanted to show front and side view. what do you think sommer? the bigger brown girl i think is one of my blrw crosses. she is evil and eats all the other girls's tail feathers. i only keep her cuz i really really want to see her egg color. i'm hoping she'll be an olive egger. there are 3 other so so pullets. all with white legs and less spots. *sigh

BELOW: these are the 2 roosters that made the cut. the first one shows more white on the chest, but the second one is bigger with a nicer pattern. see those crooked toes tho, i think it was the incubation temp since i had a few different breeds hatch out like that.

I would be very careful using chickens with crooked toes in any breeding program........... Just my opinion
i do agree with that opinion because there isnt 100% proof that its not genetic. thats part of the reason i kept 2 finalists, i really hope the smaller of the 2 beefs up and shows better mottling as he gets older.

I wish my exchequers would start laying already! They were 20 weeks old yesterday. I think. Or was it 21? In any case, its high time they started laying so I can begin the next step in the process...

I Hello aloha thread, haven't been on for a while. Thought I would let everyone know that I should have aloha eggs available for hatching by the end of the month. Sommer I have 2 very large bodied hens that are carbon copies of nui except they are orange instead of red. I also have 1 roo you may want, I'm almost certain he comes from Cheetos line. He's small and gamey but has is completely white with fire orange hackles and wingtips and tail. He's def aloha just displays a high degree of white. Unfortunately he Is around 3 lbs. When his sibling roos are around 5-5.5 lbs. As size is my breeding goal this season , I don't have space for him. I will post pics in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom