The Aloha Chicken Project

I'm going to post this on a new thread on BYC, but everyone be on the look out for BLUE EYES! One of my hens has blue and orange marbled eyes - kind of like an Aussie dog. It does not appear to have any negative effects, so keep an eye on your chicks, esp. "a little chicken" and anyone else who has received chicks from me in the last year.

I think this would be a very marketable trait. Would love to find a rooster with this.

Last edited:
Hi all, I am Tanya. I am new to chickens and to BYC. I adopted 3 chicks from my daughter's kindergarten class in May that all turned out to be Roosters. I think 2 of them are Aloha's. The school is Madison Simis, and the teacher told me that she was told they were Aloha chickens. I think one of them is actually a Rhode Island Red. However, being new to this, I could be wrong about all of them. Can you please look at my pictures and see what you think?

I unfortunately will need to re-home my roosters because I live in Central Phoenix. So, if anyone thinks they are "good specimens" and would like them, let me know. I love them and am sad to have to give them away, but I just can't have them all. I need to find them safe, loving homes because they are my pets and I can't imagine them being eaten or mistreated. I have been told Pratts will take them, but I have seen the roosters there and I know they could be going to less than desirable places. :(

This is Teensy, he is the biggest. RIR??
This is Little Peep, he is the smallest rooster.
This is Chirp, he is almost as big as the red one.

Bottom two roosters look like definite Aloha Roos. You ever find a home for them? I would be interested but unfortunately am way too far away to be a me to get one.

I would love to learn more about Alohas. I live in Tucson and am new to chickens. I did a search on breeds and the Alohas came up as good in the heat. I'd love to get a couple!

Bottom two roosters look like definite Aloha Roos. You ever find a home for them? I would be interested but unfortunately am way too far away to be a me to get one.

I would love to learn more about Alohas. I live in Tucson and am new to chickens. I did a search on breeds and the Alohas came up as good in the heat. I'd love to get a couple!
Unfortunately, no I haven't gotten rid of them. They just keep getting louder.
MrsFitzDarcy, if you want to drive up, I will give you a rooster. ;) They seem to be fine in the heat. I have mine in a coop with shade cloth and misters and they also run free in a large area. They like to sit in the shade, especially by the compost heap.

There are two of us here in Tucson with the Aloha. I have some and Debra has some. I will have a couple extra cockerels and I will be hatching eggs this fall if you want chicks. I am in SW Tucson off Bopp and San Joaquin.

Hi all, I am Tanya. I am new to chickens and to BYC. I adopted 3 chicks from my daughter's kindergarten class in May that all turned out to be Roosters. I think 2 of them are Aloha's. The school is Madison Simis, and the teacher told me that she was told they were Aloha chickens. I think one of them is actually a Rhode Island Red. However, being new to this, I could be wrong about all of them. Can you please look at my pictures and see what you think?

I unfortunately will need to re-home my roosters because I live in Central Phoenix. So, if anyone thinks they are "good specimens" and would like them, let me know. I love them and am sad to have to give them away, but I just can't have them all. I need to find them safe, loving homes because they are my pets and I can't imagine them being eaten or mistreated. I have been told Pratts will take them, but I have seen the roosters there and I know they could be going to less than desirable places. :(

This is Teensy, he is the biggest. RIR??
This is Little Peep, he is the smallest rooster.
This is Chirp, he is almost as big as the red one.
I might be interested in "Chirp" and I can find homes for the other two for you. :)

Yep, there are two new Aloha gals in Tucson! Their Alohas are still babies, not even laying yet. But they can supply you with Aloha hatching eggs or possibly Aloha chicks from their flocks, as soon as the girls are old enough to start laying. Or they might have a few "culls" for sale that will not be picked for their breeding flocks - and when I gave both ladies a bunch of chicks back in May, I welcomed them to sell the spare hens that are too small, not spotty enough, have wrong colored legs, etc.

Yep, there are two new Aloha gals in Tucson! Their Alohas are still babies, not even laying yet. But they can supply you with Aloha hatching eggs or possibly Aloha chicks from their flocks, as soon as the girls are old enough to start laying. Or they might have a few "culls" for sale that will not be picked for their breeding flocks - and when I gave both ladies a bunch of chicks back in May, I welcomed them to sell the spare hens that are too small, not spotty enough, have wrong colored legs, etc.
I'd be interested in culls or maybe this winter some chicks?

My friend Deb just emailed me photos of her extra roosters, and her "keeper" rooster. Check out her "keeper" boy!!!

Look at all that white! Long tail, bright yellow legs. Body looks stout, not "gamey" in type. This guy is AWESOME. This is totally what I've been trying to breed for.

MrsFitzDarcy - Soon as Deb's hens start laying, her friend has an incubator - and I'm sure they can hatch out some chicks for you.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom