The Aloha Chicken Project

When you show chikens do they look at whether the hen lays an egg? I dont understand how you can judge against an ideal without knowing about the quality of egg. Or even if the hen does/can lay an egg.

For most show chickens, nope, they do not look at the eggs! That is why, in terms of good layers, hatchery chickens might be as good (or better) than show stock.

I think Marans are different. Pretty sure they are graded on the egg? Darkest color gets best scores.

I'm really interested in getting these type of chickens does anyone have any chicks or young adults available right now and anybody lnow of books that can point me in right direction of what to look for concerning this particular breed.thanks,cherie

I'm really interested in getting these type of chickens does anyone have any chicks or young adults available right now and anybody lnow of books that can point me in right direction of what to look for concerning this particular breed.thanks,cherie
This is a work in progress so it's not in any breed books yet!

If you live in AZ they are easy to get, but if you are out of state, shipped chicks are about it. I can only ship out of Phoenix when the weather is not too hot here, but not too cold anywhere else. It's a very small window of time. Generally, the month of March, and maybe the week or two before or after, depending on what other parts of the country are doing! LOL.

[/IMG]
Here are a couple pics of my batch of 13. A lot of variety so far. I'll try to post pictures occasionally so you can see how they are coming along. All healthy and feisty. We have bets on number of roosters. ..3,6,7,or 13?

[/URL]
Here are a couple pics of my batch of 13. A lot of variety so far. I'll try to post pictures occasionally so you can see how they are coming along. All healthy and feisty. We have bets on number of roosters. ..3,6,7,or 13?
Let's hope they aren't all roosters this time. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom