The Aloha Chicken Project

draye, Those chicks are all looking very promising. Personal favorites are the 2nd and 3rd ones, just because I love that light color. Very nice. It will be fun to see how they grow out.

I agree, like the second and third ones.. they look so 'soft' and pretty.  Kind of tempted to guess the second is a boy, third a girl....

by the way, enjoyed reading this thread.  some Beautiful chickens!

The second and the third are also my favorites. I agree with the soft coloring. Sort of a buff color but with plenty if white spots.

Didn't Sommer say that the buff downtown hold the spots as well?

Kev you could be rigt on the sex if the chicks, but I pulled them out because they both have smaller type combs.

The second and the third are also my favorites. I agree with the soft coloring. Sort of a buff color but with plenty if white spots.

Didn't Sommer say that the buff downtown hold the spots as well?

Kev you could be rigt on the sex if the chicks, but I pulled them out because they both have smaller type combs.

The Buff do tend to hold spots and those slightly lighter than a Speckled Sussex, it's usually the New Hamp type red ones that lose the spots as they grow out.

I don't have any guesses on gender. I called it on my Speckled Sussex (hatchery chick) but was totally wrong on my latest Buff/Speckled Sussex cross. I'm still getting used to the "heavier" breeds. I haven't trained my eye yet on the huge Sussex crosses.

alohachickens, I know HEChicken is using some beautiful heritage New Hamps with her program. The spots should stay if there is mottling on the side of both hen and cock, right?

I tried New Hamp but it was only on one parental side or the other and they faded.

When HEChicken gets some of that New Hamp color and size with spots and increased egg size, she's really going to have some exciting birds.

These are some very beautiful birds. I am still reading through all the information, but had a couple questions.

What breeds did you use for this breed, since you they don't have any blommehon lines?

When will you sell hatching eggs to non-breeder/hobbyists?

These are some very beautiful birds. I am still reading through all the information, but had a couple questions.

What breeds did you use for this breed, since you they don't have any blommehon lines?

When will you sell hatching eggs to non-breeder/hobbyists?

I'll leave all the lines used to aloha chickens to tell you. I'm not really sure anyway of all.

I know that they stated with a Banty sized hen and her son that were calico colored.

There was some Swedish Flower Hen blooded added about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
wornoutmomto3, alohachickens can answer your questions better than I but I'll give it a shot. The first "Aloha" was a bantam that was some kind of gamebird cross. This bird inspired alohachickens to try to create the American version of the Swedish Flower.

We are using various other crosses to optimize the birds size and structure, increase egg size and productivity, maintain the tendency for broodiness, and create a healthy, dual purpose bird. We have used some Swedish Flower as they became more readily available but found the bird has less spotting than we want, flat chests, a tendency toward cresting, lots of gray in the pullets and are slow to mature. We do not want Alohas to be crested, nor do we want an abundance of gray in our pullets and we want a rounder bird with a single comb with an upright tail. The Swedish, from my experience is not very self protective (I'm sure there must be exceptions) and the Aloha is more predator aware. So while we are trying to create the American answer to the Swedish, we are also trying to build a bird that maintains the consistency of color pattern that is Aloha, rather than a landrace bird that breeds different colors from the same hatch. We want to build a better dual purpose bird that is well suited to confinement or free ranging environments.

Alohachickens will correct me if I have misspoke and also answer your question re: availability of hatching eggs. I don't have any pure Aloha hatching eggs right now as I am working on improving structure and size and am crossing birds.

So happy you are interested and welcome!

wornoutmomto3, I should have said we are also trying to create different strains, mine is a Sussex based strain, HEChicken's is a New Hamp based strain and draye has beautiful Naked Neck Alohas.

wornoutmomto3, alohachickens can answer your questions better than I but I'll give it a shot. The first "Aloha" was a bantam that was some kind of gamebird cross. This bird inspired alohachickens to try to create the American version of the Swedish Flower.

We are using various other crosses to optimize the birds size and structure, increase egg size and productivity, maintain the tendency for broodiness, and create a healthy, dual purpose bird. We have used some Swedish Flower as they became more readily available but found the bird has less spotting than we want, flat chests, a tendency toward cresting, lots of gray in the pullets and are slow to mature. We do not want Alohas to be crested, nor do we want an abundance of gray in our pullets and we want a rounder bird with a single comb with an upright tail. The Swedish, from my experience is not very self protective (I'm sure there must be exceptions) and the Aloha is more predator aware. So while we are trying to create the American answer to the Swedish, we are also trying to build a bird that maintains the consistency of color pattern that is Aloha, rather than a landrace bird that breeds different colors from the same hatch. We want to build a better dual purpose bird that is well suited to confinement or free ranging environments.

Alohachickens will correct me if I have misspoke and also answer your question re: availability of hatching eggs. I don't have any pure Aloha hatching eggs right now as I am working on improving structure and size and am crossing birds.

So happy you are interested and welcome!

Wow, there is a great deal of thought put into this new breed of chicken.

Here are the 7 of 8 Aloha Naked Necks that hatched. I lost one on the second day after hatch.

1 of 7. All are shots of full body view, and a shot of the white tell signs.

Back
Top Bottom