The Aloha Chicken Project

Tough call. Okay, let's leave only the one in there that will hatch 50/50 for NN. When do you think the eggs will ship? I will start collecting my Aloha girls' eggs tomorrow to go in with this group of eggs. About how many eggs do you think I'll have total because if I have room in the bator, I'll collect eggs from a couple other girls.

Tough call. Okay, let's leave only the one in there that will hatch 50/50 for NN. When do you think the eggs will ship? I will start collecting my Aloha girls' eggs tomorrow to go in with this group of eggs. About how many eggs do you think I'll have total because if I have room in the bator, I'll collect eggs from a couple other girls.
OK, I will take out the NN Buff hen. I have about 25 eggs collected so far, but the Buff NN (100% NN producer) was in there the last few days? So that means her eggs are in this batch now! I can stick them into my incubator, and start collecting again tomorrow, with her removed.

Temps have been unusually cool and mild for Phoenix in May. Typically we'd be right around 100 degrees but have been in the mid to high 80's. This week is predicting more high 80's and low 90's. That means the girls should still be laying pretty strong through next week. I'd say five or six eggs per day? I think I'd collect for maybe 3 or 4 days, and then ship so the eggs aren't too old.

That would get them to you in about one week total. Does that sound good?

Anyone else on here need more eggs?

Hum. Well, I think you should go ahead and send the ones you've collected, no big deal. I would be fine with paying for overnight delivery so they will have a good chance of making it wit the least trama. Are u wrapping in bubble wrap with ends open?

Photos of Deerfield's breeder pen:

Above and below: BIG hens. Waltz's Ark Buff Sussex with Mottled gene on far left.
Hens with "gray" (dun) necks, are Buff Sussex crossed with Paul's Rare Poultry "Cinnamon Sussex".
Babies will show no mottling (most likely) but will carry for Mottling and yellow legs.

Above and below: Two nice Aloha hens. Not huge, but not tiny!
All babies with this rooster will be spotted. May have yellow legs.

Silkie hen has been removed. But she's good for scale! LOL.

Above: This hen is half New Hampshire Red, half Aloha.
All babies will have yellow legs. All will carry Mottling. Half will show Mottling.

Group photos! Good for scale! You can see the sizes on everyone here.

More photos. Silkie shows how even the "smaller" Alohas are not anywhere near Bantam size. The half New Hampshire hen is "normal" size, like a hatchery Welsummer or some hatchery sex-links.

The above photo lets you see how MASSIVE the Buff Sussex is, and how big the buff NN hen is.

Buff Naked Neck hen is not quite as big as the Buff Sussex, but she's close!

The Aloha / NN was too shy, but she is about the same size as the New Hamshire / Aloha cross hen. Maybe a touch larger? Hard to tell, the naked neck makes them look a teeny bit smaller . . .

Hum. Well, I think you should go ahead and send the ones you've collected, no big deal. I would be fine with paying for overnight delivery so they will have a good chance of making it wit the least trama. Are u wrapping in bubble wrap with ends open?
If you have room in the 'bator I can send these now and another batch in a few days?

I had good luck sending to Draye via Priority - did the "large" box and shipping was right about $20. If these can fit in the Priority Medium box it would be even cheaper!

I've had rotten luck packing eggs, usually I put them in bubble wrap and shipped in peanuts. But I had a lot of breakage. So I tried different stuff with Draye's but mostly I shipped eggs inside of cartons. Where there was room, I wrapped in bubble wrap, but some eggs were too big so I just used strips of paper towel which is how some were sent to me. Guess what? It worked! His arrived safe and many hatched.

I am OK trying it this way, because the gals are still going for another week. So if I managed to send out some today even, I could keep collecting and we'd be good for a second batch if they arrived at your place, all battered or something? LOL!

The first batch of eggs from the Speckled Sussex Ebay'er had CLEARLY been dropped. An entire corner was smashed in. Several eggs inside were broken. However, this second box arrived with no dents and the eggs inside were fine.

I'm thinking that the results will vary more on how each trip goes? I'm OK with sending two boxes of eggs to save a few bucks. Sending Express is going to get EXPENSIVE!

Back
Top Bottom