The Aloha Chicken Project

Probably a very good thing I am reading this a week late. My husband would say I am just flitting from one chicken obsession to another, but... those birds!

Well, honestly could really really really use someone in Nebraska. Would put you in a good spot to sell hatching eggs in the Midwest. Drop me a line if you want to try hatching eggs now, or if you want to try for chicks in the fall or next Spring. Keep it in mind, I need breeders in other areas really bad - the AZ temps are so different from the rest of the country, makes it hard to ship Live chicks lot of times. And shipped eggs have worse hatch rates the further they are shipped, so it's hard to supply folks in other areas with eggs. Kinda just wonky, our weather!

Quote:
I think this nn boy has dun:

The Nn boy has the same coloring as the girl, just hard to see in the photo. He's actually my favorite cockerel so far - he's beautiful, has yellow legs, and he's even tempered, and he's one of the largest.

Roosters that I am considering (I've got some more observing to do, including behavior observation):

#1 (as stated above)

Largest, by a little bit.

A few alternates:

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Geez. Ant Farm, you are going to have a tough time deciding who to keep. Several nice rooster prospects. They are going to change a lot in the next couple of months so hopefully one will pull ahead.

I wanted to share this *highly* unusual chick here. Unique because of the light color - it's obviously got that "buttery buff" super light color that I suspect (from reading various things online) is controlled by some other gene? Need to post on the NN thread and see what our "expert" Kev has to say on the subject!

Anyway, note this chick, how it pops out from the rest:

Also, this chick carries Dun:

He / she is HUGE and for various reasons including color and size, I highly suspect that Mom is the "original" NN hen that started this line:

Huge girl with yellow legs and very unique pale buttercream buff color. Mottled carrier; from Privett Hatchery commercial stock.

Dad would be the same rooster shared with you above - took a couple of quick shots of him:

For sure this is the Daddy, since none of the NN hens have Dun, and he's the only Dun carrying rooster.

I think that's the Mom based on size (very large chick) lack of strong white spotting, (those few spots may fade) and also the very unusually light color.

I'm so hoping he / she can survive the heat this summer. I am excited by the prospect of a rooster who has size, and also that gorgeous ultra light Buff color.

I know the Dun is not causing the light buff - as I have other Dun chicks in that "group shot" and none are that pale creamy yellow shade! Only that one NN chick. I did grab a couple of my favorite NN hens and stuck them in the breeding pen for a few days, when I was collecting eggs for this batch, as I wanted to hatch out some NN's for myself. I'm so excited about that chick yet terrified because the summer is such a rough time of year and it has to survive the next few months before being old enough to breed.

To hedge my bets, I put that Buff NN hen in with her son, and I'm also collecting eggs from that pen. I'm hoping to basically "clone" this hen since she has such a unique light color, plus other wonderful traits. She's older now - like 3 or 4 years - and has already survived several summers. Hoping to get at least 2 of her daughters for next year's pen. If they don't have spots that's OK, I know they will carry. Will be looking for this super light buff color in the chicks. It makes such a GORGEOUS "Mille" shade as seen in her daughter here:

Here is another shot of the "foundation" hen taken back in December or January:

And here's another shot of the baby, who I hope is a chip off the old block:

Sorry about the dirty bedding in there, I'm literally going to break up this pen in 2 days and do a major cleaning before introducing a fresh batch of chicks, so it's nasty in there but seems silly to replace bedding when they are about to leave anyways.

Geez. Ant Farm, you are going to have a tough time deciding who to keep. Several nice rooster prospects. They are going to change a lot in the next couple of months so hopefully one will pull ahead.

I wanted to share this *highly* unusual chick here. Unique because of the light color - it's obviously got that "buttery buff" super light color that I suspect (from reading various things online) is controlled by some other gene? Need to post on the NN thread and see what our "expert" Kev has to say on the subject!

Anyway, note this chick, how it pops out from the rest:

Also, this chick carries Dun:

He / she is HUGE and for various reasons including color and size, I highly suspect that Mom is the "original" NN hen that started this line:

Huge girl with yellow legs and very unique pale buttercream buff color. Mottled carrier; from Privett Hatchery commercial stock.

Dad would be the same rooster shared with you above - took a couple of quick shots of him:

For sure this is the Daddy, since none of the NN hens have Dun, and he's the only Dun carrying rooster.

I think that's the Mom based on size (very large chick) lack of strong white spotting, (those few spots may fade) and also the very unusually light color.

I'm so hoping he / she can survive the heat this summer. I am excited by the prospect of a rooster who has size, and also that gorgeous ultra light Buff color.

I know the Dun is not causing the light buff - as I have other Dun chicks in that "group shot" and none are that pale creamy yellow shade! Only that one NN chick. I did grab a couple of my favorite NN hens and stuck them in the breeding pen for a few days, when I was collecting eggs for this batch, as I wanted to hatch out some NN's for myself. I'm so excited about that chick yet terrified because the summer is such a rough time of year and it has to survive the next few months before being old enough to breed.

To hedge my bets, I put that Buff NN hen in with her son, and I'm also collecting eggs from that pen. I'm hoping to basically "clone" this hen since she has such a unique light color, plus other wonderful traits. She's older now - like 3 or 4 years - and has already survived several summers. Hoping to get at least 2 of her daughters for next year's pen. If they don't have spots that's OK, I know they will carry. Will be looking for this super light buff color in the chicks. It makes such a GORGEOUS "Mille" shade as seen in her daughter here:

Here is another shot of the "foundation" hen taken back in December or January:

And here's another shot of the baby, who I hope is a chip off the old block:

Sorry about the dirty bedding in there, I'm literally going to break up this pen in 2 days and do a major cleaning before introducing a fresh batch of chicks, so it's nasty in there but seems silly to replace bedding when they are about to leave anyways.
You know, the girls out of the S&G group are much more buff and much less red than I've seen before in the Ideal Naked Necks. Not quite buttery like the girl above maybe, but similar to my eye and a lot less red than I've seen in my yard before.

Esp. the enormous girl, little Miss Heinz 57, seen below. She's 2.5 lbs at 6 weeks...

(I think the lighting is a bit different/darker in this photo compared to yours, to my eye she looks quite light.)

- Ant Farm

(Edit to clarify: Posting this here because the S&Gs are going to be part of my plan to get more size into the Alohas...)

Last edited:
You know, the girls out of the S&G group are much more buff and much less red than I've seen before in the Ideal Naked Necks. Not quite buttery like the girl above maybe, but similar to my eye and a lot less red than I've seen in my yard before.

Esp. the enormous girl, little Miss Heinz 57, seen below. She's 2.5 lbs at 6 weeks...

(I think the lighting is a bit different/darker in this photo compared to yours, to my eye she looks quite light.)

- Ant Farm

(Edit to clarify: Posting this here because the S&Gs are going to be part of my plan to get more size into the Alohas...)
This will be exciting to see if those buffs pick up the spots as easily as the Buff NN hen here!

I have mentioned in past posts, that the buff color with buff tail seems difficult to "put spots onto" as I tried first with Buff Orps then with Buff Rocks and never got anything more exciting than a few random tiny specks. However, the Naked Neck hen was "Buff COLUMBIAN" (Black tail and would have a black neck ring if they had it) and in both the Buff Coloumbian NN and the Buff Columbian Sussex, they have put spots on quite nicely.

So how well the S & G's work will depend on what "flavor" of Buff they are - Columbian or solid Buff?

We'll have to see - they all have some black on the tails.

Here's a photo of them from the defunct S&G website - they look Columbian to me (these chicks are form that line):

http://www.sandgpoultry.com/bird-nakedneck.php

- Ant Farm
Agreed. Can't see it on your chicks so much but for sure Columbian! That's very promising.

Is the web site defunct or are they not breeding any longer?

I think they are reorganizing - but they are not doing Naked Necks anymore and sold their stock to Dunlap (which is where I got them).
Is Dunlap a private breeder or another hatchery like Cackle or McMurray? And these NN's were bred for meat - kind of? (Trying to figure out the bloodlines, etc.)

Is Dunlap a private breeder or another hatchery like Cackle or McMurray?  And these NN's were bred for meat - kind of?  (Trying to figure out the bloodlines, etc.)

Dunlap is a Hatchery.

The NN from the S & G stock are of broiler lines like the French la'rue ( spelling) lines.

Back
Top Bottom