The Aloha Chicken Project

Pics
I just grabbed a few out tonight and did a quick candle.

They are growing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

Yay! I can't wait until they are about 10 days along and we know how many are fertile! (The very oldest eggs were kind of, um, stale?)

There is a mixed-breed egg swap thread too. I have been lurking fr a while, but I can't justify more chickens now if I wanna hatch out more Alohas!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/474174/designer-egg-chain

Hey Tam'ra - that reminds me - how are your first hatchlings? Are your ladies finally laying for you? I can't wait to see more Aloha babies up there! (I know most of the first generation out-crosses will be solid colors or will look totally like Sussex . . . but still . . . )

Day-20 is up and hobbling about as of this morning. The toes on the right foot a still curled up. I taped them. Hopefully they will straighten out in day or two. I'm afraid to go get the BOs etc for the cross breeding now since Day-20 might be too delicate for the older feed store chicks but don't see it surviving without others for warmth and socialization. The Los Angeles colony depends on this little guy. Don't want it to be a Roanoke.

No signs of life in any of the others. Checked them with a stethoscope but heard nothing. Will give them until tomorrow before I start breaking them open. Need to get the hatcher bater ready to lockdown some Cochins on Sunday.

Hmm, very much the reason that I gave up on sending eggs. and looked into shipping live chicks. My own luck hatching shipped eggs has been very poor.

Ruri, do note that I have the 'bators restocked right now, and I may be able to do a live shipment to you on March 26th. I'll have to do a final candling, but there should be plenty that hatch within a 24 hour period. I have 82 spaces filled now.

Normally I've been insisting on "Express" mail (because the previous shipments have been to Oregon - really far away from Phoenix!) but since you're only a six hour drive from here, I think Priority would work fine. Let's see how the hatch goes! If it doesn't work we can try a live shipment.

Both live shipments so far have been a total success!
smile.png

No signs of life in any of the others. Checked them with a stethoscope but heard nothing. Will give them until tomorrow before I start breaking them open. Need to get the hatcher bater ready to lockdown some Cochins on Sunday.

Ruri-

I did a final candling and 74 eggs in the 'bator are alive and growing. (Tossed out a small handful of blanks and blood rings.)

Going to PM you about Live shipping details, in case you're interested in the March 26th batch.

ooh i am so excited, i cant wait til we get to see what hatches out in kansas. what day is it now?

I believe it is day 8 and I get more nervous every day! I'm terrified none of them will hatch!
The Sportsman said 100.00 degrees and approx 40% humidity. Okay. Then the water pan dried out overnight and when I checked on them first thing it was 17% humidity.
duc.gif
S$%@! Have no idea how long it was dry. Refilled it.

Then, I read something somewhere that said 80% humidity until hatch. I freaked! Stuck the sponges in tried everything and got it to 69% tops. Decided that can't be right and asked the KS forum people. They said 35 - 40% so I freaked out again and got back down to 38 - 40% humidity. Also, lowered the temp to 99.5 because someone said 100 is too hot in the Sportsman. Then all the clouds and humidity rolled in and now I can't seem to get it below 43% humidity. I'm turning on the room dehumidifier to decrease the humidity in my craft room to bring the humidity down a bit.

I'm such a newbie I can hardly stand myself. Has all of this fluctuation wrecked my eggs? Tazcat says hers are doing great, Thank goodness!! I'm afraid to candle mine. Is there any chance of life in there? The temp has been stable. Just the humidity has been all over the place.

I'm such a newbie, I can hardly stand myself.
th.gif

First thing, relax and breathe! Chickens would never have survived all these millenia if they were so terribly fragile... They will survive, honest! Just keep the humidity no higher than 40% (if you can :D ) Just about 48 hrs before the lil guys hatch jack the humidity to roughly 80%. Just remember these guys are true to their banty roots and start hatch at 20 days... Believe me, I don't comment too much but I am really excited too.
caf.gif

First thing, relax and breathe! Chickens would never have survived all these millenia if they were so terribly fragile... They will survive, honest! Just keep the humidity no higher than 40% (if you can :D ) Just about 48 hrs before the lil guys hatch jack the humidity to roughly 80%. Just remember these guys are true to their banty roots and start hatch at 20 days... Believe me, I don't comment too much but I am really excited too.
caf.gif

bow.gif
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Okay, no higher than 40%, got it. 48 hrs before day 20, humidity to 80%, got it. Thank you so much for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom