The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I thought this was an Ameraucana thread. All I see are a bunch of wanna be, green egg lay'n mutt chickens. Aren'[t there already a bunch of "EE" threads? Why make one more???

Let's find a better way to express these points of view, agreed?
BYC Moderation Team

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was an Ameraucana thread. All I see are a bunch of wanna be, green egg lay'n mutt chickens. Aren'[t there already a bunch of "EE" threads? Why make one more???

This thread is for all things ameraucana, such as birds who have disqualifications, or birds that don't meet up the the SOP, the reason there are easter eggers on this is because some people don't know the difference between ameraucanas and EEs, so they post them on this thread,

I wanted to ask where you bought them from because it helps to add another piece to the puzzle. Most feed stores purchase their chicks from Hatcheries. Most hatcheries list there easter eggers as Ameraucanas/Americaunas/Araucanas. It's a shame they feel the need to do this. Some people told me that they focus strictly on a producing bearded birds that lay blue/green eggs with no regard for the standard. I have come to learn that the only way to get purebred Ameraucanas is to purchase your birds directly from a breeder. Even then you have to ask them the right questions and ask to see pictures of their birds to make sure they know what they are doing and breeding to the standard. I have 5 Easter Eggers that I knowingly purchased under the title of "Ameraucanas" from our local feed store. They all have beards and most have slate colored legs, but that is where the commonalities end between them and the Ameraucana standard. Most have pea combs so I am hoping for some nice blue eggs, but none of them are Ameraucanas based on their type and coloring. I will try to find their chick pictures and post them on here so you can see what they looked like. An Araucana is an entirely different breed than the Ameraucana. I don't know very much about Araucanas either other than they are a tufted, rumpless, blue-egg-laying breed. I can see the fluff under her chin a bit better in the bottom picture, but I still can't see her legs very well. I can also see a nice pea comb, so hopefully you will get some nice blue eggs from her. Did you purchase these birds in hopes of breeding and/or showing them? If so I hope you aren't upset and don't feel discouraged or deceived. This happens to a lot of people. You still have a beautiful chicken that is going to lay some lovely eggs!
Thank you so much! I'm sure that's what happened. She is a cutie though.
So sorry. I won't bother you again. I'm new to this and thought that this was a great learning tool.

I posted all of those pictures to show another member on the thread that lots of chicks are being sold as Ameraucanas when they aren't truly Ameraucanas. If you will go back and read the first page of this thread, you will see that members should feel free to discuss APA Standard birds, non-standard birds (with purebred parentage), and project birds. Since some project birds have been outcrossed to other breeds, this description includes EE's. Whether people like it or not, EE's are an integral part of the breed of the existing breed and improvements in the future. Line-breeding is already starting to decrease fertility in some lines. Since most Ameraucana lines are "cousins" to each other, at some point, outcrossing to another breed will be necessary.

I was reading on the ABC forum the other day, that some people have started a blue project where they are outcrossing to Blue Andalusions to try to improve lacing. Technically, all offspring would be considered EE's by most peoples standards. But after being bred back to Ameraucanas for a few generations the offspring would be considered Ameraucanas again. So sometimes createing and EE and/or non-standard bird is necessary to improve the breed.

All that myself and the other members of this thread ask is that if you want to participate in the discussions on this thread please maintain an open mind and a positive attitude.

So sorry. I won't bother you again. I'm new to this and thought that this was a great learning tool.
I wouldn't worry too much about that last comment. I started this thread mostly to create a friendly atmosphere where people could feel comfortable asking questions about the breed (EE's included). When I asked the same questions you did on the "other" Ameraucana thread I received some very rude responses and felt very uninvited. There are some really nice knowledgeable long time breeders on this thread that I know will do their best to answer your questions. So feel free to ask any questions you want. We all love and are interested in Ameraucanas.
smile.png

Thank you so much! I'm sure that's what happened. She is a cutie though.
I'm glad the information was helpful. Sometimes it's difficult to find a nice way to word "the facts." Especially when people are really upset that their Ameraucanas aren't actually Ameraucanas. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the breed right now. I have a small background in genetics and enjoy a good puzzle/project. So the controversy is part of what actually drew me into the breed. Sometimes I think it's not only the breed I like, but the genetic challenges that go along with it. Goodness, I have a problem! Lol. I guess in the end, I would like to be a part of breeding a better bird. (A better bird according to the standard that is). In my geeky mind, it sounds like a lot of fun. My BBS eggs are due to hatch tomorrow and I am very excited!

I'm glad the information was helpful. Sometimes it's difficult to find a nice way to word "the facts." Especially when people are really upset that their Ameraucanas aren't actually Ameraucanas. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the breed right now. I have a small background in genetics and enjoy a good puzzle/project. So the controversy is part of what actually drew me into the breed. Sometimes I think it's not only the breed I like, but the genetic challenges that go along with it. Goodness, I have a problem! Lol. I guess in the end, I would like to be a part of breeding a better bird. (A better bird according to the standard that is). In my geeky mind, it sounds like a lot of fun. My BBS eggs are due to hatch tomorrow and I am very excited!

Thank you. Good luck with your hatch. It sounds exciting. I really appreciate your help. BYC has been very helpful. I've only had chickens for two weeks now. So I need all the help I can get. I have these chicks as pets, so EE/Auraucana, doesn't matter. However, I know now for next time if I really want true breeds, to find a breeder.

Outrun Acres, Has any of your chicks hatched???
Nope, none yet. Day 21 doesn't start until tomorrow morning though. I have them in egg cartons so I can't really even see any rolling or wobbleing. I did some things differently this time around in my incubator, so I am very interested to see what kind of hatch rate I get. I am pretty sure 12 of the 15 eggs were good to go. These eggs were really difficult to candle, so I left all of them in just in case. None were sweating or smelled bad. If one of the 3 is bad, I hope it doesn't explode!
fl.gif

Nope, none yet. Day 21 doesn't start until tomorrow morning though. I have them in egg cartons so I can't really even see any rolling or wobbleing. I did some things differently this time around in my incubator, so I am very interested to see what kind of hatch rate I get. I am pretty sure 12 of the 15 eggs were good to go. These eggs were really difficult to candle, so I left all of them in just in case. None were sweating or smelled bad. If one of the 3 is bad, I hope it doesn't explode!
fl.gif

Hope you have a good hatch!

Back
Top Bottom