The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Outrun Acres, Mar 6, 2013.

1. WindDancer

WindDancer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Farmer City, IL
    On day 14 for my Silver Ameraucana eggs in the incubator. Candled them lastnight and they look good!!

2. Momhunter

Momhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Texas
    Glad i found this thread. I'll be new to the breed at the end of May. I've got 15 chicks ordered from Taylor Hobby farm coming. Will be straight run BBS. I'm so excited to get them.

3. Momhunter

May 13, 2012
    Texas
    Glad i found this thread. I'll be new to the breed at the end of May. I've got 15 chicks ordered from Taylor Hobby farm coming. Will be straight run BBS. I'm so excited to get them.

4. CloverdaleFarms

CloverdaleFarms Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the insight! I too am blaming the shipping process. I just found the variablity in the condition of the chicks interesting. Logically, one would assume that the chicks would present with the same types of issues. I was baffled by the wet and dry chicks. I have a new group of my chicks hatching now, they are just peeping along! One thing I have learned is to not mess with the humidity too much. I am in Florida and my natural humidity is around 38%. If I start messing with the temp or humidity too much, my chicks are sticky with yolk and often have open navels or inexplicably die.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Are those lavender, or blue birds in your avatar? I can't tell by the lighting. I have my first lavender ameraucana (and the only one I know is a pullet) And I can't seem to find good pictures.

6. Outrun Acres

Outrun Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to the thread! How exciting! Thats what I have in the incubator right now due to hatch on Sunday. They will be my first true Ameraucanas as well. Do you like all three colors or one in particular?

7. Outrun Acres

Outrun Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think I learned my lesson with my last hatch. My humidity was up around 65-75% and I had a lot of sticky chicks. So this time I am going no higher than 60%. I hope that takes care of the problem. When I think of how a broody hen hatches chicks, how high can she really increase the humidity? I'm guessing, not as high as I was trying to get it!

8. Bitterroot

Bitterroot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Montana
    This is only my first hatch, but so far everything is going very smoothly. I bumped my humidity to 20% above what I was incubating at (dry incubation, 20-30%), and the chicks are having no problems getting out. Of course, now that I've said that, the rest of the chicks will be shrink wrapped just to spite me.

9. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is the mystery chick, any thoughts on gender, and what color it will be? It's a pure ameraucana, I was thinking splash, but it only has the odd feather that is dark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you!

10. Momhunter

May 13, 2012
    Texas
    I like all colors, am considering getting some buff eggs to incubate and hatch at the same time as my BBS will arrive. I've seen the color charts on breeding BBS, what happens if you add buffs to the same flock???
    I currently have black Jersey Giants and am getting BBS JG chicks along with the ameraucanas. I am biulding a second coop to keep all the babies in,after the brooder, until the JGs are large enough to free range with my existing flock. Then the new coop and run will be for the ameraucanas. I will have to alternate who gets to free range daily to keep the breeds separate. Besides selling and hatching out separate breed chicks and am worried that my big JG Roos would hurt the ameraucanas.
    After they all start laying I will be having BBS of both breeds. Oh I also have coturnix quail and a trio of peafowl, AND cattle, horses, and mules, all on 85 acres. AND a husband, two kids and full time jobs, a little busy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by