The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I've actually read from a much respected breeder it's more like 10 years and 10's of thousands of dollars in stock, feed, raising hundreds of birds per year,, to get this done,then you need to find at minimum 6 other folks with the resources, desire, and "sticktoitiveness",,,, he is also one of the fellows that helped found the club,,,,,,
I didn't even think of the money it would take to do something like that. Now wonder some breeds aren't APA approved. My Aunt ventured into breeding cream legbars and had a heck of a time selling them because they aren't an APA approved breed in the United States.

I didn't even think of the money it would take to do something like that. Now wonder some breeds aren't APA approved. My Aunt ventured into breeding cream legbars and had a heck of a time selling them because they aren't an APA approved breed in the United States.

It does take a lot of time patience money and dedication to get a new variety approved. I am a member of the ABC and am working on Lavender Ameraucanas. It is a very rewarding task IMO but I am in it for the long haul. To produce birds that are improved in color, vigor and type. With a goal in mind and dedication and enjoyment of the process. In no way is it easy but I have taken advice of many reputable breeders on the ABC and spent hours upon hours reading about genetics.

Do you have any pictures of your birds you could post? I think you will receive a friendly knowlegable critique here :).
This is what some call a mutt.1/4 wheaten.Size improvement project.He carries red but does not show it.Sold him and some cull/project hens as EE recently to winddancer.Told her of the project.Will use pullets with pure silver to get 1/8 wheaten.Will start culling at day old to remove any trace of wheaten.Will put that generation together and select for size.Have told all who inquired about pure silver of the project status.No takers.I would rather lose a sale than hear disappointment.Not everyone is ready to select in a project.Jean is using black for the same goal of size.Most LF silver are undersize.He could pass as silver but would dissapoint a newbie when bred.

It does take a lot of time patience money and dedication to get a new variety approved. I am a member of the ABC and am working on Lavender Ameraucanas. It is a very rewarding task IMO but I am in it for the long haul. To produce birds that are improved in color, vigor and type. With a goal in mind and dedication and enjoyment of the process. In no way is it easy but I have taken advice of many reputable breeders on the ABC and spent hours upon hours reading about genetics.
Hey buffygirl hows the projects coming?Glad to see you post. Jerry

What an exciting undertaking! Do you have any good books on genetics you could recommend. I need to educate myself before I decide to undertake any sort of breeding with these birds.

How did you get started with lavenders. Did you get some lavender project birds or create the color yourself?

This is what some call a mutt.1/4 wheaten.Size improvement project.He carries red but does not show it.Sold him and some cull/project hens as EE recently to winddancer.Told her of the project.Will use pullets with pure silver to get 1/8 wheaten.Will start culling at day old to remove any trace of wheaten.Will put that generation together and select for size.Have told all who inquired about pure silver of the project status.No takers.I would rather lose a sale than hear disappointment.Not everyone is ready to select in a project.Jean is using black for the same goal of size.Most LF silver are undersize.He could pass as silver but would dissapoint a newbie when bred.

When the Ameraucana became an APA recognized breed what were the colors that were originally recognized? I am guessing that wheatens posess good size (as do blacks)? Are Wheaten and black dominant colors and silver a recessive one? How was silver created? Or maybe a better question is, do you have any good books on chicken genetics you could recommend before I make my ignorance on the subject widely known?
smile.png

Hi all.

We just started with a mixed bag of chickens last year, but I am very interested in the Ameraucana breed. I have a couple that are EE, though sold to me as otherwise which is fine for my "fun for the kids" flock. I have been looking for some true blue Ameraucana eggs. I think it would be a fun breed to start working on breeding with and since they seem ptty docile, I thought it might be a good choice for my little helpers too.

so glad to see this thread. I lurked on the other one, but never posted for the same reasons many of you have already shared. Posting so maybe I can get some insight and knowledge for the future.

Hi all.

We just started with a mixed bag of chickens last year, but I am very interested in the Ameraucana breed. I have a couple that are EE, though sold to me as otherwise which is fine for my "fun for the kids" flock. I have been looking for some true blue Ameraucana eggs. I think it would be a fun breed to start working on breeding with and since they seem ptty docile, I thought it might be a good choice for my little helpers too.

so glad to see this thread. I lurked on the other one, but never posted for the same reasons many of you have already shared. Posting so maybe I can get some insight and knowledge for the future.
Welcome to the thread and thank you for joining! There are some very knowlegable subscribers on here and I am sure someone will have the answers you are looking for and point you in the right direction. I am not the person to be giving you advice, I am new to the breed as well and very interested in getting some birds in the future. Feel free to ask anything you want about Ameraucanas on this thread. No one is going to cast stones at you or make you feel unwelcome. I think everyones main goal here is to discuss and learn more about the breed.

Project
Hey buffygirl hows the projects coming?Glad to see you post.  Jerry
Projects are great planning to start setting eggs from the two I have been waiting for pullets to start laying and now they are in full force. I need to fire up the bators and I am working on getting electricity and insulating so it can be my brooder and incubating area. I hope to see size improvements in the cuckoos and the other project I just want to produce more and get them up to size as well as get the eggs up to size. How are yours coming

What an exciting undertaking! Do you have any good books on genetics you could recommend. I need to educate myself before I decide to undertake any sort of breeding with these birds.

How did you get started with lavenders. Did you get some lavender project birds or create the color yourself?

I had blacks of very good quality and a pair I lavenders. I got hatching egg in lavenders and have put together breeding pens of the best birds I have so this year I hope to put out better birds than what I started with. I lurked on the Ameraucana forum and became friends with jerryse, I read and wrote down many genetic charts and listened to what the ABC breeders had to say. I hatched some chicks and selected only the best to breed from. You don't end up without breed able birds if you select carefully. You just have to have a goal in mind and it takes years to get where you want. But picking the beast stock from reputable breeders has paid off for me. I don't sell anything locally and cull many. But I don't let birds get out so others can't create and sell chickens that will mettle the genetic pool. Often I keep the less desirable in a layer flock or give to family members for theirs who have no intention of breeding.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom