The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
The 2 roos my vet dretd on byc did the crow reduction surgery on 3 weeks ago are doing great and have returned to their flock

These are mine, from Mike's non Smithsonian line, I'm a bit confused. I had thought the Smithsonian line was the suspected ac x leghorn, and the non-smithsonian line he had was pure? IDK.

The girls do seem to be better black saturated than the boys, although the vet said when she did the crow reduction surgery that their trachea was charcoal and their hearts were black/mullberry. It seems that their skin where they were plucked for the procedure turned ashy colored the day after they came home??

The haffies (ac x mo) have noticeable mottling in the legs, pink skin, bright red comb, and white leakage on one or two of their feathers. He's been with held from food for 30 hours now and we are planning on trying to caponize him in a few hours. While we build the sc/bresse/haffie and a slw is with thrm too.

I'm thinking I might sell one of my surgically decrowed roos, idk how well it will have taken yet on the crowing front, as they had thd procedure done before they ever crowed to brgin with.

When I hatch my first batch
I will post the photos and I will need some advice on which to cull and which to keep...
It's quite simple: Cull any that are not 100% black in the mouth, earlobes, vent, comb, wattles, skin, toenails, feathers, etc. If this is your first time with Cemani, you should grow them out until 6 months or more before selling any so that you can absolutely know what you are selling to your customers.

If you really want the best quality (and at this point no one will buy poor quality), you should cull like 80% or more of each hatch.

Even culls could be used in meat production crosses.
Yes, consider joining the Smithies project with culls. For those that don't know, it is a project to create a dedicated $5 black skin "Cemani" meat bird. Almost all of the current lines are too small to really be black skin meat birds so we will have to breed towards one.

These are mine, from Mike's non Smithsonian line, I'm a bit confused. I had thought the Smithsonian line was the suspected ac x leghorn, and the non-smithsonian line he had was pure? IDK.

The girls do seem to be better black saturated than the boys, although the vet said when she did the crow reduction surgery that their trachea was charcoal and their hearts were black/mullberry. It seems that their skin where they were plucked for the procedure turned ashy colored the day after they came home??

The haffies (ac x mo) have noticeable mottling in the legs, pink skin, bright red comb, and white leakage on one or two of their feathers. He's been with held from food for 30 hours now and we are planning on trying to caponize him in a few hours. While we build the sc/bresse/haffie and a slw is with thrm too.

I'm thinking I might sell one of my surgically decrowed roos, idk how well it will have taken yet on the crowing front, as they had thd procedure done before they ever crowed to brgin with.

Hopefully the crow reduction surgery was a success!

Also I am confused about the Mike"s birds.
I thought that all his birds came from the same source, though he had been breeding them for different characteristics like egg laying ability. Does anyone know for sure?

Although some will disagree,
Yes, Mikes lines are 100% indonisean cemani.
Infact, he had them in the states many years before GF.
He just breed them for larger size and egg production not beauty.
It is because they are not pretty that some do not like them...
And say some really funny things about them too.

By crossing the best of multiple lines many flaws in beauty can be worked out of ANY line. It just takes time and work.

This is what I have done with my 3 lines...

I look forward to seeing how well my first hatch goes.
If not so well, I will merely cull, trade my best with other reputable breeders and cross in more lines.

I'm in this for the long haul...
wink.png

And because of this my emerging line will be top notch.

What 3 lines do you have?

Have you been breeding them already?

I have to collect my eggs 3x aday so they don't freeze and break. Hatching eggs I collect only warm ones ,cold ones go to the fridge
I do the same. But since I work from home I am able to collect every hour when I have an order. I also don't sell after the first snow and remove the roos from the hens to give them a break.

Back
Top Bottom