The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
Here is the Dutch Standard for Ayam Cemani:

Male
Type and Carriage: General appearance alert and quite gamey.
Body: medium sized, slim, firm and muscular, wings held strongly to body. Alert bearing
Breast: fairly broad, full and firm.
Back: back medium length, sloping from the neck; saddle hackle rather short.
Wings: long, large and strong, held slightly high at the shoulders. held tight to the body, and not resting on the back. Shoulders – wide and firm.
Tail: held a little high; moderate spread with narrow, medium length sickles. Rump - moderately developed. Parson’s Nose small, and firm, little fluff.
Head: of medium size. Face – black and smooth. wattles medium, small black earlobes, eyes large and full of expression, dark brown to black with black pupils. Comb – single, usually with five points, black. Back of comb not following down the line of the neck. Beak – firm, well curved, black.
Neck: long and firm; the neck hackle reaching to the shoulders.
Legs and Feet: Thighs medium, powerful, set well apart, good bend of hock. Straight parallel medium length shanks - black. Four toes long, strong and well spread, with prop toe standing well back and firm on the ground – black. Well-developed spurs in mature male birds
Plumage: Feathers quite short and close-fitting
Handling: Firm and muscular.

Female:
The general characteristics are similar to those of the male, allowing for natural sexual differences. The back line of the hen can be less angled, the face is often a more intensive black.
Colour
Plumage – Black. Green sheen is not so obvious as in some black breeds. Skin, face, comb and legs – Black.
Weights
Male 1.8–2kg (approx 4–4½lbs)
Female 1.2-1.5kg (approx 2¾-3½lbs)

Scale of Points
Feather Colour 20
Skin Colour 30
Type 15
Legs and feet 10
Head 10
Condition 15

Serious defects
Carriage too horizontal. Tail carriage too high or too low. Wings hanging down. Legs too short. Too little black pigment in the skin colour.

Last edited:
I cross a hen from Bryce with my rooster Cemani from Greenfire farm. I'm thinking may not be as big, the next time I'm going to cross a rooster from Bryce line to a hen from Greenfire and then compare the two.
I've crossed my Svart hens with a Greenfire Svart Roo and I've been extremely pleased with the results.
The cross, as of yet, hasn't brought up any unwanted traits and they seem to compliment each other well.

Yay! How old were your before your first egg? I'm starting to wonder b/c my ac are in the warm barn with grow lights on from the attached greenhouse and it being very warm in there and getting additional sunlight, if that may set my ac and bresse to laying earlier than springtime? Do I want that to happen? It just plummeted way below freezing and now I'm too scared to move them outside. I have the bresse and ac in different brooder boxes made from closet doors and hardware cloth.

Yay! How old were your before your first egg? I'm starting to wonder b/c my ac are in the warm barn with grow lights on from the attached greenhouse and it being very warm in there and getting additional sunlight, if that may set my ac and bresse to laying earlier than springtime? Do I want that to happen? It just plummeted way below freezing and now I'm too scared to move them outside. I have the bresse and ac in different brooder boxes made from closet doors and hardware cloth.
You could try moving them to an unheated garage first. That's what I do before my little babies get the boot to the coops.

The TM Astin line usually start at 4 1/2 months- 5 months. They are decent layers. Nothing compares to the Bresse. They are laying machines. I delivered a trio to this farm in Virginia over the weekend and there was an egg in the transport cage when I got there.

Last edited:
I don't think mine are quite that old yet, but are probably pretty close and are from a different line. About when do your bresse start to lay?

I don't think mine are quite that old yet, but are probably pretty close and are from a different line. About when do your bresse start to lay?
The laying age for Breese can vary a lot from bird to bird. I had some start at 5 months and some not lay until 8 months. But once they get started, you will need a bigger egg basket.

For a breed that originates in the tropics, they do seem to like to lay in the winter.

This could be due to their black plumage? As a general rule, black anything seems to absorbs lots of light/heat from the sun. Indonisea has ultra tropical climate year round. Imagine 90F + and 75-85% humidity all the time
ep.gif
So, maybe a cooler climate triggers their laying time? And that may be why they only lay such low number of eggs in the tropics?

This could be due to their black plumage? As a general rule, black anything seems to absorbs lots of light/heat from the sun. Indonisea has ultra tropical climate year round. Imagine 90F + and 75-85% humidity all the time
ep.gif
So, maybe a cooler climate triggers their laying time? And that may be why they only lay such low number of eggs in the tropics?
I actually have a different theory that the Cemani ancestor (the unknown Asian bird) actually originates from Korea where it is much colder than Indonesia, rather than the other way around. But that mystery probably won't be solved until I can get some lab time and run the DNA for the Ogye and compare it against Ayam Cemani and other FM breeds.

Back
Top Bottom