The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Thank you Blue Egg, that was very helpful... as the chicks mature we will see how they look. And the picture advice is great.

I already know one chick should be probably not used in an Ayam breeding program unless someone is breeding for Bantams... it is that tiny, healthy but definitely a Bantam and makes me suspect something else in it.

Breeding poultry is no different than that of any other animal whether it is a dog, cat, cattle, horses etc. For me the most important advice I can give is bypass all the less than desirable online information that simply makes you feel better about your own flock because others feel the same way & look at your flock without bias. Once you overcome this, key on information from experts who are critical of the breed. For me it is the Ayam Cemani Breeders Association’s “Standard of Perfection”. Only then will you notice improvements in your breeding stock.

https://ayamcemani.us/standard-of-perfection/

How? I think a previous member summed it up…by beginning with a good foundation. Something that always makes me chuckle is that famous Cemani Roo on the web from GFF. You know the one…all dressed up in jewels? Look close the next time you view that photo. That Roo is full of mulberry in his wattles, for that matter probably in his comb as well.

I dealt with those same issues for 3 years, almost 4. Thinking I could continue to purchase from the same breeder thinking one day a couple of good ones would magically appear. Don’t full yourself it isn’t going to happen. The fact of the matter is it only gets worse. Why…in-breeding.

Make sure you get plenty of photos from a prospective breeder, close-up photos of the face, underneath the wings, feet, & inside the mouth (grey inside the mouth ok). Look for any signs of off colors; mulberry & pink or off colors in the feathers. If for some reason the breeder hesitates to send specific photos, move on to the next, etc.

Another important factor is recognizing once you’ve established your breeding stock you mustn’t led up. You are still going to need to be critical of the offspring. Continue to monitor for the same less desirable traits mentioned above because although they will occur in much less frequency, they will happen. Cull those from your flock immediately. Just as important; do not forget to mix up your breeding stock over time or you'll be right back where you started.

I am in no way saying this is the correct way to go about it although it is what has worked for me. Good luck & don’t expect success to happen overnight…it takes time.

Do you have any suggestions for finding a good original stock for breeders or fertile eggs?

This is the “bantam” Ayam... I think it is a mix... molted feet... white and grayish feathers... it’s hard to see but the beak tip is not completely black either... just want you alls opinion... I think it is some sort of bantam cross. I took pictures of it next to another Ayam that hatched out with it and what I think is an OEG bantam chick (TSC bantam surprise) which is actually bigger than it. It’s a very active, but very tiny bird.
BFFAF317-2A4D-452C-AD3B-700A13C2A0B3.jpeg
129D32B7-BDBE-48C2-80AD-1F4C0F6548D1.jpeg
E24D1FAD-39BA-442C-9818-FDFAE5146282.jpeg
FDDCBBE6-1DF4-41BA-A673-9CE1BD4C2870.jpeg
0EE7FA69-11FA-4D76-9488-E6AA65A9553D.jpeg
B9702A7E-C69B-4330-92C1-970D6DDA7C5D.jpeg
6105FFF3-2A4C-41EB-9A3C-18947C59D3F8.jpeg
83736B50-EFCF-479A-B55F-354E6C374088.jpeg
23B4751F-1AB7-455B-9382-AEDE9CB8CBE3.jpeg
11706929-3A8C-4DBC-AE8D-215A5EB3C333.jpeg

I had posted this in a forum about breeds of chickens, but I was told that posting my questions here would yield better results.

I recently acquired 4 ayam cemani chickens, one male and three female. They were born at the end of January so they are about 20 weeks/5 months old now. I'm new to the breed, so I have a few questions about this guys so I'm informed more clearly about them and so that I can cater to their needs.

1) When will the rooster start crowing? He makes clucking noises, but I've never seen or heard an attempted or actual crow. He opens his mouth wide sometimes but I think it's just a yawn.

2) When will the females start laying? I've read that the POL can be as early as 5 months or as late as 7 months, but this is unclear for this breed.

3) What is the laying pattern for hens? I've heard that they won't lay for months, but also that they just alternate between weeks.

4) Will the chickens be able to breed as soon as the hens start laying? I'm not sure when the male will be mature enough.

5) How big approximately is the clutch size for a mother ayam cemani? In saying that they're "questionable" layers, I'm unsure on how many eggs they'll lay before the eggs sit for too long without incubation.

6) What foods do ayam cemanis prefer? I've tried to feed them the same food as my cochins, but they aren't fans of earthworms, strawberries, carrot shavings, etc.

7) How should ayam cemanis be kept to make them happy? They're in an enclosure where they each have 20sqft of space 6ft of height for flying up to perches, as well as a coop above the ground, some "stimulus", and food+water. They also get let out into a chicken tractor to pick at grass and bugs and such.

I had posted this in a forum about breeds of chickens, but I was told that posting my questions here would yield better results.

I recently acquired 4 ayam cemani chickens, one male and three female. They were born at the end of January so they are about 20 weeks/5 months old now. I'm new to the breed, so I have a few questions about this guys so I'm informed more clearly about them and so that I can cater to their needs.

1) When will the rooster start crowing? He makes clucking noises, but I've never seen or heard an attempted or actual crow. He opens his mouth wide sometimes but I think it's just a yawn.

2) When will the females start laying? I've read that the POL can be as early as 5 months or as late as 7 months, but this is unclear for this breed.

3) What is the laying pattern for hens? I've heard that they won't lay for months, but also that they just alternate between weeks.

4) Will the chickens be able to breed as soon as the hens start laying? I'm not sure when the male will be mature enough.

5) How big approximately is the clutch size for a mother ayam cemani? In saying that they're "questionable" layers, I'm unsure on how many eggs they'll lay before the eggs sit for too long without incubation.

6) What foods do ayam cemanis prefer? I've tried to feed them the same food as my cochins, but they aren't fans of earthworms, strawberries, carrot shavings, etc.

7) How should ayam cemanis be kept to make them happy? They're in an enclosure where they each have 20sqft of space 6ft of height for flying up to perches, as well as a coop above the ground, some "stimulus", and food+water. They also get let out into a chicken tractor to pick at grass and bugs and such.
I have similar question but it is only about roosting preferences for the breed. If anyone has time to answer or tag in a friend please do.

Is anyone willing to part with some ACs? I’m stationed in Ft Bragg NC and live off base with 10 acres and a very large enclosed run and coop as well as plenty of free ranging time.
I currently have 30 birds but the kids saw an AC online one day and have been begging for some roosters and hens 🤦🏻‍♂️

Is anyone willing to part with some ACs? I’m stationed in Ft Bragg NC and live off base with 10 acres and a very large enclosed run and coop as well as plenty of free ranging time.
I currently have 30 birds but the kids saw an AC online one day and have been begging for some roosters and hens 🤦🏻‍♂️
Someone had replied earlier they found theirs easily enough on craigslist in NC.

anybody be interested in having fertilized ayam cemani eggs straight from indonesia? Pure ayam cemani with black tongue and everything else.

anybody be interested in having fertilized ayam cemani eggs straight from indonesia? Pure ayam cemani with black tongue and everything else.
That's a pretty remarkable claim. Having said that I am interested although much elaboration is required before I will commit? So, please elaborate in detail?

Back
Top Bottom