The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
GracieMae Barred Holland stock vs Ideal Poultry stock. Differences include, size, comb and color. I'm working on improving our breed lines. For anyone who is familiar with the breed standard, are there any drawbacks to the GracieMae roos characteristics (pictured here on the left). Thank you!

Legs are supposed to be orange, not sure about color on graciemae's Barring is really nice, but would like to have another opinion. Barred hollands are supposed to have "dominique" type barring. love the type and build.
ETA: I see in your other photos that they have orange legs. I really like that cockerel.

Last edited:
Thanks Jen. Yes, the legs are orange, but are weathered on our BH roo. I'll try to get a pic of the GracieMae hen vs the Ideal Poultry hen for comparision purposes. It's been tricky since my hens have been in such a long slow molt. Her barring is different and what is weird to me is that even though she hatched from a pure white egg, she is laying a buff colored egg. So, the plot thickens! :)

Thanks Jen. Yes, the legs are orange, but are weathered on our BH roo. I'll try to get a pic of the GracieMae hen vs the Ideal Poultry hen for comparision purposes. It's been tricky since my hens have been in such a long slow molt. Her barring is different and what is weird to me is that even though she hatched from a pure white egg, she is laying a buff colored egg. So, the plot thickens! :)
The rooster can affect the color of the egg too, so if the daddy was carrying a gene for darker egg, even if egg was white, the offspring could lay darker egg. Also, almost all eggs lighten towards end of laying cycle for the year, so if it starts as very light cream, could be white by end of cycle. Does that make it as clear as mud?

Just as an observer....

First culling should be for color and type.

Last culling should be for egg color.

If you only set the lightest colored eggs (cream to white) eventually you will have only white eggs.

The Braggs Mountain Buffs used various breeds to develop their layer. They weighed each egg and only set the darkest and largest eggs. Nearly 2 decades later they have a Buff bird with yellow/orange shanks that lays a nice ex-large deep medium brown egg. Its not a show bird, but the idea is the same.

With numbers being so small, a Barred Hollands breeder needs to get their numbers up. For exhibition the egg color means very little, unless your hen lays an egg in front of a judge. It may be difficult to cull your dark egg layers out of your flock. But if you only set the light and/or white colored eggs then each generation your dark egg layers will be culled automatically. Also, if you only set light/white colored eggs, your new cockerels will be from light/white eggs.

GracieMae Barred Holland stock vs Ideal Poultry stock. Differences include, size, comb and color. I'm working on improving our breed lines. For anyone who is familiar with the breed standard, are there any drawbacks to the GracieMae roos characteristics (pictured here on the left). Thank you!
Well my 2 cents would be: I like this beefy boy on left! As you may well know, 2 of the shortcomings in this breed are weight and getting back to a true white egg, so Kudos on your beefy boy and getting white eggs to hatch from (even though your pullet is laying cream, that may lighten up, and you know the genetics are there). Am I seeing a crooked toe on this boy? The SOP calls for yellow shank, toes and beak. Also wing carriage should be near horizontal, in post number 43 right wing looks to be carried very nicely. Tail should be at 45 degrees, hackles should flow well over shoulders, comb should be evenly serrated with 6 well-defined points front and rear points shorter than the others. I am quoting the SOP now and not judging your birds. Good luck on this project.

Last edited:
C77A7302-DFD2-479C-B98E-DE5168221C6C-1563-0000025BD4B43EC7.jpg

I saw this bird entered in the PA farm show yesterday as a white Holland. It was disqualified, but it was the first I'd ever seen any sort of Holland , good or bad, real or otherwise. Nice to see someone trying. Thought some of you may enjoy the picture.

Sad news, "Graciemae" no longer has chickens... any chickens. She has dispersed of them all. No details.

Would be interested in swapping for some Barred Hollands from her line. I have BBS Orpington eggs, White Embden goose eggs, Narragansett turkey eggs and Buff Wyandotte Bantam eggs. The turkeys and geese are almost at point of lay. PM me with your offer.

Back
Top Bottom