The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Hi all. I'm in 4-H and we're starting an in-depth study of the Standard and breeds in it. Yesterday we drew breeds randomly and I drew the Holland. I have a Bantam Standard, and the Holland is not in it. We have to write a report of the breed and things about it. I could not find a Holland website, either, so can someone kindly help me answer these questions?

1. What is the history of the Holland?
2. Comb? (Single, correct?)
3. Skin color?
4. Angle of tail?
I also need to draw the line of the back, so if someone has a good image of a bird with a great back line for the breed, I would really apperciate it. Thanks for all your help!
Banty

Hi BantyChickenLuv! I have the 2010 APA standard, so this should be accurate:

1. The white Holland was first bred in 1934, and has white leghorn, rhode island red, new hampshire and lamona in it's make-up. Near the same time, the barred Holland was created from white leghorn, barred plymouth rock, australorp, and brown leghorn. Both were accepted by the APA in 1949. The are now EXTREMELY rare and are one of the 2 American class breeds that lays a white egg. (the other being Lamona)

2. Yes, single!
smile.png

3. The skin is yellow like most Americans.

4. The tail is 45 degrees above the vertical for the male and 40 degrees for the female.

I can't help for the picture, so hopefully someone else can!

I hope this is helpful!

Hi BantyChickenLuv! I have the 2010 APA standard, so this should be accurate:

1. The white Holland was first bred in 1934, and has white leghorn, rhode island red, new hampshire and lamona in it's make-up. Near the same time, the barred Holland was created from white leghorn, barred plymouth rock, australorp, and brown leghorn. Both were accepted by the APA in 1949. The are now EXTREMELY rare and are one of the 2 American class breeds that lays a white egg. (the other being Lamona)

2. Yes, single! :)

3. The skin is yellow like most Americans.

4. The tail is 45 degrees above the vertical for the male and 40 degrees for the female.

I can't help for the picture, so hopefully someone else can!

I hope this is helpful!

Thank you so much for you help, I really apperciate it!

Thanks for the help everyone! It's greatly apperciated. I think I have what I need now. The Holland is such an interesting breed, I'll keep an eye out for them at my next show!
yippiechickie.gif

Banty

Hello fellow Holland-ers I have been away from the thread for a while. I have a flock of BH as well as my sister. I have been trying to identify which of my birds lays creme colored eggs. Most of the BH eggs I get are true white but I have 1hen (I believe) that lays a very pale creme. My Roo is a big boy, a little mean to younger the younger Roos. My sisters Roo came from same shipment from IDEAL and he is smaller and more leghorn looking than mine. I will try to get a few pics posted soon as it stops raining for long enough :eek:)

Wow, GracieMae got rid of her chickens? I wonder why? I have two Barred Hollands from her line, a pullet and cockeral hatched April 29, 2012. I'll be breeding my second generation F2 this year with GracieMae's line and with my BH Ideal stock. Since I don't know if the birds I have from GracieMae are related, I'll have to see what happens with those. Egg production is down right now, but I should have hatching eggs available in the spring.

Apparently someone is. See my picture and comment on page 6. If you want their info, pm me. Not sure if what they have is a sport from the barreds, a cross, or an attempted recreation? From the look of the birds, they are heterozygous dominant white over a mostly black ( barred?) background.

Back
Top Bottom