The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

This Holland pullet is 7 weeks, old hatched out November 20th ...She ruffled because she is scared.
Going to have my daughter help me get better photos soon.

They are peeps from the stock I posted a few days ago.

Well my 2 cents would be: I like this beefy boy on left! As you may well know, 2 of the shortcomings in this breed are weight and getting back to a true white egg, so Kudos on your beefy boy and getting white eggs to hatch from (even though your pullet is laying cream, that may lighten up, and you know the genetics are there). Am I seeing a crooked toe on this boy?

The SOP calls for yellow shank, toes and beak. Also wing carriage should be near horizontal, in post number 43 right wing looks to be carried very nicely.

Tail should be at 45 degrees, hackles should flow well over shoulders, comb should be evenly serrated with 6 well-defined points front and rear points shorter than the others. I am quoting the SOP now and not judging your birds.

Good luck on this project.
Thanks Blarneyeggs (and everyone) for your feedback! I doublechecked the toes on this roo, and they aren't crooked, just his nails are long and that is what you are seeing. I did notice something though, based on the SOP, his comb is irregular. It has a small spike, second to the end, the last point is larger. I'm posting a pic to show this detail. My question is, would this be a random occurance or would his offspring carry this same comb quirk?

Legs are supposed to be orange, not sure about color on graciemae's Barring is really nice, but would like to have another opinion. Barred hollands are supposed to have "dominique" type barring. love the type and build.
ETA: I see in your other photos that they have orange legs. I really like that cockerel.
Legs are supposed to be orange? What are the genetics for orange legs? I thought they were supposed to be yellow, or is a deep yellow called orange?

Last edited:
There was a little different recipe that the Barred Hollands and the White Hollands were made from wasn't there?
Can crossing the Whites with the Barred's make anything correct? or should the two be developed separately?

Welcome to the world little Holland
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom