The American Paint Silkie

Maybe you should refer him to this thread, it mentions and shows pictures of more than just black and white paint. Not only are the blues white with blue spots, the shades of blue can be light and dark and everything in between, just like a solid blue. The spots are pigment holes, so whatever the white color is hiding shows the spot color. I imagine we will be seeing buff spots soon. I know someone on this thread even mentioned lavender spots (though they might be hard to tell the difference from a light splash). I personally have black with white, blue with white, and red with white paints. All three pictured below:

The only paint "rule" if you can call it that - is the color should be the entire length of the feather.

That's what I thought! I mean I'm totally open to feedback, but it was not at all what I had learned from reading this thread. I referred him to the blue paint thread. He tried to say my girl might just have leakage. I mean that's fine, if that's what it is, but it's awfully spot patterned to be leakage o-O

That was me with the lavender spots lol. It was that bird I just posted that inspired that thought. He is sayin that paint is not pigment holes? I always read it was.

Ha! Ha! Ha! :lol:

That's what I thought! I mean I'm totally open to feedback, but it was not at all what I had learned from reading this thread. I referred him to the blue paint thread. He tried to say my girl might just have leakage. I mean that's fine, if that's what it is, but it's awfully spot patterned to be leakage o-O

I am not an expert, but I am breeding paints and have been for a couple of years now. I just hate to see someone ask something and no one respond!

Your girl looks paint to me. Do you know if she is a lavender split? Maybe she is!

I have never read paint being anything other than pigment holes. He is saying paint is leakage? Does he have anything that we can read to compare? Just curious.
:p

Last edited:
This thread had all started over a friend of mine interested in my paint roo. He isn't so interested in breeding big time, but basically was wondering if he used my paint roo over his white hen, what they would throw.
I had said this just as a question when he said something about it always being black and white.
"Now isn't paint a white basically with holes all through it that will show the other color bred through those holes?"

This was his reply.
"No.  It is a new mutation that arises from dominate white.  it is NOT white.   It is a bird with the white background with some completely black feathers growing in random places.  Paint is from dominate white not the normal recessive white, two totally different genes.  Do not confuse white with paint.  While paint appears to have arisen from a Dominate white bird, as it is a dominate trait, it is not white."

Never once have I confused white with paint. I'm not even sure where that came from. All I wanted to know for my friend was what could happen putting a paint rooster over a white hen. I then went on to say I had a pretty paint with silver spots, hold on let me post a pic.. and got this response from him.

"Why do you think she's paint?  I see no distinct black markings on her.  Looks white to me.  She may have some leakage, but I don't see paint."

This has left me very very confused. I'm new to paints like I said... I'm okay to admit I have no clue, but this seems wrong to me.

I mean I have yet to see someone jump on this thread and say... you're all wrong.. paints are only black and white.

Here's a link to the thread. If you're on the group you should be able to see it. It's the silkie breeders group on fb. Soran had responded earlier, I totally trust her especially on genetics. Like I said though, if my girl is not actually a paint, okay cool, but I was almost certain paints were made because there was pigment holes in the dominant white, and other colors showed up through those holes aka the spots?
https://m.facebook.com/groups/22069...26280956237&notif_t=group_comment&ref=m_notif

Is he a paint breeder? He sounds very knowledgeable in the way he speaks, but I would refer you to Sigrid Van Dort or Sonoran - genetics experts. Paris posted a good link from Sigrid's book. She used an Appaloosa horse as an analogy. I don't think Sigrid posts on BYC however Sonoran does and has the education and experience to back her comments up.

This is a quote from Sigrid:

Paint Silkies
Feathers
White with black (or a dilution) spots.

I really have no clue about him. Yes he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Yet I always learned that the spots were from the pigment holes in the dominant white, which was why other paint colors could be possible.
So Sigi says black or dilution spots. I need her book lol.

Back
Top Bottom