The answer to humane euthanasia in chicks

copon2900

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Dorset, England
Everyone has been asking 'how do you peacefully, humanely put chicks out of their misery?'.
Well today I found out. One of very 3 day old vorwerk chicks had severe slipped Achilles' tendons in BOTH legs, and badly curled toes. He had an abscess on his neck and couldn't get anywhere to eat or drink. It was so sad to watch him suffer, I tried everything to help him. I tried bending his legs back to make tobe tendon slip into place, but it was to painful. I tried a chick chair, but that just stressed him out a lot. I knew that euthanasia would be the best way to go, but I just couldn't do it.

I ended up taking him to the poultry farm where I bought him as an egg, and he showed me how to do it.

This is the most peacful, humane way to do it. Especially if you don't like all the blood:

1. Get a thick piece of wood and a paper towel.
2. Wrap the paper towel around the chicks backend (this is because sometimes they poop).
3. Position the chick so the front of the middle of his neck is on the edge of the wood.
4. Press down on his neck, as hard as you can, otherwise it could take a few seconds for the chick to go.
5. Hold him there for a minimum of 1 minute, making sure he is deffinately gone.

It is a heartbreaking thing, but this causes no struggle, no chirping, and they die instantly.

I'd love to hear how everyone else does it, and if this method has been successful for you.

We cut their heads off with a big pair of garden shears. One snip takes less than a second, with very little blood. It's always disheartening when you have to cull one of your babies.

Back
Top Bottom