The Apocalypse Hatch...

Update: We were allowed back home Friday and on candling the eggs seemed to have developed well (about half with obvious active movement!).

Started lockdown yesterday and it was hotter than hell. Got home from work and found the house was 44C inside... Thankfully the insulation on the incubator had kept it under 40C so I broke lockdown and moved them all outside in the shade which quickly got the temp down. Still, I was pretty sure they'd cooked...

Put them back in lockdown before bed and set up a timelapse camera. Checked the camera this morning and at least 7/10 are still rocking and rolling in their shells. If I watch the playback on high speed I can see the eggs twitching 🙂. One egg is particularly active and came pretty close to turning itself completely around 😁.

In other words, these seem to be some tough little ones! Hopefully they make it through the next few days. No more heat wave days in the forecast so I'm optimistic!

Update: We were allowed back home Friday and on candling the eggs seemed to have developed well (about half with obvious active movement!).

Started lockdown yesterday and it was hotter than hell. Got home from work and found the house was 44C inside... Thankfully the insulation on the incubator had kept it under 40C so I broke lockdown and moved them all outside in the shade which quickly got the temp down. Still, I was pretty sure they'd cooked...

Put them back in lockdown before bed and set up a timelapse camera. Checked the camera this morning and at least 7/10 are still rocking and rolling in their shells. If I watch the playback on high speed I can see the eggs twitching 🙂. One egg is particularly active and came pretty close to turning itself completely around 😁.

In other words, these seem to be some tough little ones! Hopefully they make it through the next few days. No more heat wave days in the forecast so I'm optimistic!

So happy for the update!! Good luck! I’d love to hear if they hatch.

My first attempt at hatching and, in the spirit of 2020, the world has decided to make it as complicated as possible...

First came the heat. We don't have AC and Saturday the house was the same temp my incubator is supposed to be (and it took opening it several times to prevent it from getting too hot just from the fan motor and egg metabolism..).
View attachment 2352936
For folks who don't think in celsius, 37.5C is about 99.5F. The bottom number is our house, the top one is inside the incubator.

Sunday came the fire. Spent a completely sleepless night watching the glow of it over the ridge after all my neighbors evacuated.
View attachment 2352957
Yesterday I also evacuated and have had to leave my eggs to their own devices and hope my DIY incubator keeps them comfy without my input... I usually give them a hot water bottle to help keep the temp up at night but hopefully the weather will stay warm enough that they don't need that. And I was worried I may need to start putting ice packs in there if it gets too hot one of these days, but hopefully it doesn't do that either... I've unplugged everything else in the house so hopefully our small off-grid solar setup can keep the bator powered even with the smoke blocking the sun. Most importantly, I bloody hope I make it home in time for lockdown!

Basically, we'd just love any good thoughts that you could send these little ones! Positive stories of hatches surviving disaster would also be lovely to hear right about now...
I am over in oregon and we had those really high wind storms, we lost power. I had to wrap my incubator in towels and drive it to my mothers 1 hr away but it felt even further because I could barely drive in the storm. Trees were falling all around me! I got it set up over at her house and then we were on warning because over the hill were fires! And every day seemed like more fires. Luckily I now have 7 baby chicks and the fire was eventually put out! I hope the same for you, but more chicks!

Attachments

• 20200927_160453.jpg
    20200927_160453.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 1
Eggs can survive 5 days without heat. So you could've taken your eggs with you on the area. And the area you were evacuated to probably has sockets or plug points. So if something like this fire happens again. You can just take your eggs with you.
I try not to jump in on things like this, so I’ll ask pardon ahead of time. But if you’ve ever been under an emergency evacuation, you’re more worried about saving your family, your most cherished items, and basic necessities— all while tearing your heart out about the things you can’t quickly cram into a vehicle or trailer (like an incubator full of eggs). And evacuation centers aren’t necessarily thrilled with evacuees who make nonessential use of their power. I sympathize so much with impr3 and hope that all is well for them when they return home.

Back
Top Bottom