The "are quail worth it" answer thread

mine definitely lay 300 eggs a year, trick is providing good food and at least 16 hours of light a day. I imagine some strains are better than others, my golds and pharoahs start laying a week or two ahead of the other colours for some reason even if they all hatch together.

Quail just got even more worth it for me! Had to cull one of my growers - they will be ready in a couple of weeks anyway - and as I was frying chicken chunks I just floured up the quail halves and fried them with the chicken.........

OMG so tender and juicy and tastey and YUMMMMMMMY!!!

Even Hubby who didnt want to eat them had some and LOVED it
big_smile.png

Is going to be really hard to wait two more weeks till my first lot are properly ready
droolin.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Try wrapping them boogers in pepper bacon with sweet jalepenos and grilling them

Your DH will fall in love with you all over again
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

WRONG!! on the avg. they lay 200 eggs per year. so 200/ 364 = 0.55 eggs per day avg. which would only leave you with 53 or so eggs every 14 days.

assume hatch rate of approx 75%​
= 18-20 quail every 18-20 days max production​
4 quail per 2 person meal = 4-5 meal every 20 days.​
or approx 7 quail meals a month​
You will loose 5% of these chicks to random things.​
quail eat 1/2oz food per day​
Every study that has been done on meat type quail has an avg.. of the quail eating 1/2oz food per day.. that is from day old to 8 weeks old.. the avg will me ALOT higher when they are held past 8 weeks of age!​

I appreciate your input, Riffecreek, but I do wish you had put it more politely.​
My current quail (uglyducky babies) have been laying every single day since they were 8 weeks old, not even missing a day when I packed them into a crate and drove them four hours away into a new home - not when I changed their food - nothing seems to phase them. Therefor I felt it appropriate to use 1 egg/day in my calculations.​
I have so far not lost any babies, though I am sure I would if I were producing on the level I am writing about.​
I got my 1/2 oz/day number from http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/jpquail.pdf (page 7, right above disease prevention and control) it specifically mentions that adult quail eat 1/2 oz/day.​
Also, Buttercup Chillin, I agree with your assessment of portion sizes. I find a single quail to be quite sufficient... but I am a dedicated bone-nibbler. My Partner doesn't agree so much - usually he eats all he feels he can get off a quail, and then I have the other half!
lol.png
but we both agree the flavor (and the satisfaction of raising our own food) is well worth it!​
Thanks All! Keep the answers coming!​
Where did you purchase your first quail?

Quail are my Fort Knox of meat. As long as Costco sells $5 rotisserie chicken, and eggs at about $1.00 a dozen, I think it's hard to run hard numbers and come out ahead by raising your own poultry.

I'm raising quail because I live on an island, and as far-fetched as a supply disruption is, I'm taking no chances. And, FWIW, fresh quail is delicious without a whole lot of prep fuss. My family and cat approve.

Back
Top Bottom