The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Hey this is off topic a little but still about genes. I’m looking for some hatching eggs with the Scaless gene can anyone point me in the right direction.

I *think* I know what I'm dealing with here, but just checking.

Blue Australorp rooster, unknown mother but has to be either Blue Australorp or my OE, who is buff and blue.

I've got a splash cockerel with significant red leakage. I first thought he'd been in a fight but couldn't find a wound on him or any of the others and realized that it was leakage.
With that much leakage, I think you are probably right in thinking he has the Olive Egger mother (who shows some buff), rather than having an Australorp mother (with no gold or red leakage).

This would mean that his mother was the OE, right? But since he has a straight comb it's unlikely that he carries the blue gene, right? View attachment 3531088View attachment 3531089View attachment 3531090View attachment 3531092

When you mention the straight comb and the "blue" gene, are you talking about egg color now? Because the "blue" gene for feather color is obviously present in this splash cockerel.

The blue egg gene can be linked to pea comb (like in Ameraucanas) or to not-pea comb (like in Cream Legbars.) Olive Eggers can have it either way, depending on what breeds they descend from. What kind of comb does the Olive Egger have? What do you know of her ancestry?

Last edited:
With that much leakage, I think you are probably right in thinkuing he has the Olive Egger mother (who shows some buff), rather than having an Australorp mother (with no gold or red leakage).

When you mention the straight comb and the "blue" gene, are you talking about egg color now? Because the "blue" gene for feather color is obviously present in this splash cockerel.

The blue egg gene can be linked to pea comb (like in Ameraucanas) or to not-pea comb (like in Cream Legbars.) Olive Eggers can have it either way, depending on what breeds they descend from. What kind of comb does the Olive Egger have? What do you know of her ancestry?

The OE is homebrew, hatched from an egg I was given.

Her father was a Marans of unknown type and her mother was an EE. She's got a modified peacomb, beard, and feathered feet so I'm guessing that her blue egg gene is linked to her peacomb. :)

img_20230128_143417597-jpg.3389023

I have a barred rock and rir roo.

What would I get in feathers crossing either of them over a blue ameracauna or black Australorp?

Thank you!
If your barred rock is double-barred, all of his offspring will be barred; if he is single-barred, 50% of either sex will be barred, the other 50% being solid black. If you cross him to the australorp, all of the offspring will be black. Crossing him to the ameraucana will produce 50% black and 50% blue. The ameraucana will pass on her peacomb and beard- and her offspring will lay green eggs, most likely.

The rhode Island red will also produce black and blue chicks-not barred-. Whether they are blue or black will also depend on the color of the mother. Blue ameraucana produces 50% black and 50% blue, the black australorp cannot produce blue. His chicks may show leakage though, as he lacks the extended black base and the extra melanizing genes that properly color the body black.

The OE is homebrew, hatched from an egg I was given.

Her father was a Marans of unknown type and her mother was an EE. She's got a modified peacomb, beard, and feathered feet so I'm guessing that her blue egg gene is linked to her peacomb. :)

img_20230128_143417597-jpg.3389023
Yes, her blue egg gene probably is linked to the pea comb. So yes, her single comb son probably lacks the blue egg gene.

If your barred rock is double-barred, all of his offspring will be barred; if he is single-barred, 50% of either sex will be barred, the other 50% being solid black. If you cross him to the australorp, all of the offspring will be black. Crossing him to the ameraucana will produce 50% black and 50% blue. The ameraucana will pass on her peacomb and beard- and her offspring will lay green eggs, most likely.

The rhode Island red will also produce black and blue chicks-not barred-. Whether they are blue or black will also depend on the color of the mother. Blue ameraucana produces 50% black and 50% blue, the black australorp cannot produce blue. His chicks may show leakage though, as he lacks the extended black base and the extra melanizing genes that properly color the body black.
Thank you!!!! I'm excited that I can potentially make blue and black barnyards

Back
Top Bottom