The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
Screenshot_20220809-145910_Chrome.jpg

That's what I intend to aim for -- the smooth, sleek feathers with appropriate but not excessive fluff that makes for greater heat-tolerance.

That's what I intend to aim for -- the smooth, sleek feathers with appropriate but not excessive fluff that makes for greater heat-tolerance.
Mine survived the heat wave that Texas shared with us a few years ago. Temperatures in the Triple digits, for almost the entire month.

What are you gonna breed in, to lessen the fluff?

No, I meant less fluff than the Orpingtons.

That, and availability, are why I'm using Silver-Laced Wyandottes instead of Silver-Laced English Orpingtons for my Silver-Laced Australorp(ish) project. :)
Wyandottes are pretty fluffy themselves. Hopefully your plan works out for ya.

Yes, they can make chicks. All breeds of chickens can produce chicks with each other, just like all breeds of dogs can produce puppies with each other.

They will be mixed-breed chicks.

The chicks are likely to inherit the rose comb from the Hamburg rooster.

I am assuming the Hamburg is the Silver Spangled color. If I'm wrong, that will affect the color of some of the chicks.

From the Australorp hen, the chicks will be mostly black. They may show some red or white leakage in their feathers as they grow up.

From the Black Star hens, about half the chicks should look like the ones from the Australorp. The other half are likely to show some pattern of black-and-white, but not neatly arranged into Spangles the way the Hamburg pattern is. In both genders, but especially in the males, the white may have some yellow or even red patches, rather than being a nice clean white all over.

From the Red Star hens, about half the chicks should show a pattern of black-and-white, like some from the Black Stars. The other half would genetically have a pattern of white-and-white, which really means they'll just look like white chickens. The "white" on all these chicks, but especially the males, may look yellowish or have red patches, rather than being a nice clean white all over.
So my next question is will they be sexed like the stars??
Like will the stars def make hens?? Will there be a mark?

I do have a question about my chick Big Fatty.

Is she she showing a form of Recessive Bantam Dwarfism? Or has she just hit a slow down in her growth? She's 10 weeks old, & the same size as she was at 6 weeks old.
20220809_170213.jpg
20220809_170316.jpg

Back
Top Bottom