The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Pics
No, I am not falling for the Gambler's Fallacy.
I do not think the "next" coin flip (or chick) has a higher chance of having the other trait.
But by the time you get 6 heads in a row with the coin, I start thinking something is odd. And by the time you reach 10 heads in a row, I'm checking whether the coin has 2 heads, or whether someone has found a way to flip the coin so it always lands heads up instead of really being random.

With chicks, if someone gets a batch of 10 with one recessive trait, I think the most likely explanations are:
--parents are both pure for that trait
--those "parents" are not really the parents
--the person is mis-identifying the trait

So with a cockerel who clearly is not p/p for single comb (because we've now seen his picture), but "all" his chicks have single combs when their mother has single comb, I would want to know how many "all" the chicks are.

If it's 4 or less, then I think random chance is the most likely explanation.
If it's a few more than that, chance is still a reasonable explanation.
But if it's 10 or more, then I think the MOST likely explanation is that a different rooster sired some of the chicks, or that the person is mis-identifying the comb type. Random chance is not completely ruled out, but is not very likely to cause that.
I think I might be able to help with some of the mystery. To find out, the six brown egg F1 olive eggers I also grabbed from her were from that same blue rooster in question too. I didn’t know that when posting originally. Mine hatched Friday. I have some pics. I am no expert in pea comb, being that I’ve only hatched single combs until now, but I do see the serated single in some, just like when my Ayams were born. There is two, possible a third of those six that to me look blunt versus defined pointed tops, but I am not sure how a pea comb is suppose to look on new born/week old chicks etc. Over time I will be better, but for now, I am looking forward to your input on it for accuracy.

Here is some of the photos I took from Monday. I don’t have hers to compare to mine, so I can’t speak in regard to her concern of all her baby chicks with single comb, but I would assume my hatch would be enough to figure out the mystery hopefully.

Attachments

• 68189D90-5175-4DC8-A9C1-4B7F5A43E209.png
    68189D90-5175-4DC8-A9C1-4B7F5A43E209.png
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • 3111AD60-C102-4B67-B042-7662BFD469B5.jpeg
    3111AD60-C102-4B67-B042-7662BFD469B5.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 87334566-AFEF-4FF2-A3FA-9C15E7D18A68.jpeg
    87334566-AFEF-4FF2-A3FA-9C15E7D18A68.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 9DEDBB85-D961-467F-A680-2A12E58918EE.jpeg
    9DEDBB85-D961-467F-A680-2A12E58918EE.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 9323F56A-10B1-4677-9DE1-9077C5CFADCD.jpeg
    9323F56A-10B1-4677-9DE1-9077C5CFADCD.jpeg
    663.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 23789B9E-41F3-49FB-B16F-479EF1C1CFBF.jpeg
    23789B9E-41F3-49FB-B16F-479EF1C1CFBF.jpeg
    656.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 0BC66785-8C26-44D2-A517-2554AA25D3F9.jpeg
    0BC66785-8C26-44D2-A517-2554AA25D3F9.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 688AEA57-DA89-4D00-AE15-493A5AA78253.jpeg
    688AEA57-DA89-4D00-AE15-493A5AA78253.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 4
  • 051B95DD-81A9-4F46-A3CE-5F3EE251E786.jpeg
    051B95DD-81A9-4F46-A3CE-5F3EE251E786.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 4
  • F8D451B8-4D30-48B6-8DFE-B336A979BAFB.jpeg
    F8D451B8-4D30-48B6-8DFE-B336A979BAFB.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 4
I think I might be able to help with some of the mystery. To find out, the six brown egg F1 olive eggers I also grabbed from her were from that same blue rooster in question too.

So you only hatched 6 chicks or incubated 6 and hatched less? In any event 6 out 6 Single comb from a P/p+ male is still withing probability.

Last edited:
Here is some of the photos I took from Monday. I don’t have hers to compare to mine, so I can’t speak in regard to her concern of all her baby chicks with single comb, but I would assume my hatch would be enough to figure out the mystery hopefully.
Some of those definitely have single combs, and the others I'm not quite sure about.

If hers look like that, I can see why she called them all single combs, although I'm not sure if they actually are.

Sometimes a pea comb is really obvious even on a newly-hatched chick, but that's not the case with any of yours. So I'm not entirely sure whether you have any pea combs, or whether they are all single.

So you only hatched 6 chicks or incubated 6 and hatched less? In any event 6 out 6 Single comb from a P/p+ male is still withing probability.
I don’t know how many she hatched for her statement of all single combs. I grabbed a dozen OE eggs from her, six were brown OE eggs from her when I grabbed my ameraucana, the other six OE were in blue shells, so the rooster was a maran for those ones and not included in the photos. The photos were of the brown egg olive eggers only. All six hatched successfully. I know it isn’t great amount for an accurate confirmation of the punnet square debate, but it’s all I have for pics of what the combs look like of the ones I have received from her 🙂

You guys are so informative and easy to talk with. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and teaching me!

Some of those definitely have single combs, and the others I'm not quite sure about.

If hers look like that, I can see why she called them all single combs, although I'm not sure if they actually are.

Sometimes a pea comb is really obvious even on a newly-hatched chick, but that's not the case with any of yours. So I'm not entirely sure whether you have any pea combs, or whether they are all single.
I agree with you on this. That makes me wonder if either there was a diff roo that got in the mix like you stated, or that the the non obvious ones are a pea comb less pronounced due to the father being a P/p+. It will be interesting to see how they grow out.

Do you think it’s worth keeping the ones that are obvious single combs? I was going to use them as a F1 olive egger to mate to a pure ameraucana to see if I could get a mint shell color. I would assume the pea comb possible ones would be a better candidate?

Sorry you lost one.

She is lovely! They usually make good broodies/moms too. Mine could cover lots of eggs with her big fluffy butt.

What are your plans for her? Does she have a name?

Sorry you lost one.

She is lovely! They usually make good broodies/moms too. Mine could cover lots of eggs with her big fluffy butt.

What are your plans for her? Does she have a name?
I've had an Orpington in the past brood me a batch of chicks.

Was gonna breed her to my Project Wheaten Crele Orpington rooster Dino, to further purify the line. Though, the project is somewhat discontinued.

@NatJ or @nicalandia the chicken calculator didn’t seem to have an option for Mauve Splash.

I have a Lavender Cuckoo Orpington rooster, what would babies from him and my Mauve Splash Orpington look like? Would they be chocolate cuckoo? Or blue cuckoo? Or black barred? I don’t really understand how mauve and mauve splash and chocolate and blue are all related very well…I tried Lav cuckoo over khaki on the calculator and it said they’d all be fawn (dun) and barred? Thanks!!

@NatJ or @nicalandia the chicken calculator didn’t seem to have an option for Mauve Splash.

I have a Lavender Cuckoo Orpington rooster, what would babies from him and my Mauve Splash Orpington look like? Would they be chocolate cuckoo? Or blue cuckoo? Or black barred? I don’t really understand how mauve and mauve splash and chocolate and blue are all related very well…I tried Lav cuckoo over khaki on the calculator and it said they’d all be fawn (dun) and barred? Thanks!!
Lavender Cuckoo rooster x Mauve Splash Orpington hen

I'm assuming the hen does not have barring or any kind of patterning, just a genetically black chicken with chocolate and splash (2 copies of the blue gene) diluting the color

For the cuckoo part: sons and daughters will show white barring

For the dilutions:
--lavender is recessive. If the hen does not carry a copy of that gene, none of the chicks will show it, but they will all carry it.
--blue/splash is incompletely dominant. If the hen is splash, she will give one copy of the gene to each chick, so they will all show blue.
--chocolate is recessive and on the Z sex chromosome. The hen will give one copy of the gene to her sons (who do not show it), and none at all to her daughters.

So all chicks will look blue, all will carry the lavender gene, and the sons will also carry the chocolate gene.

This is assuming the recessive, sex-linked gene called "chocolate."
There is a different gene that causes khaki and dun/fawn (sometimes also called "chocolate.") If your hen has that gene, the results will be a bit different.

@nicalandia can you get mauve with dun + blue, or is it only with chocolate + blue? Is it safe to assume that a "mauve" Orpington has sex-linked chocolate rather than dun?

Back
Top Bottom